[Pre-sale][PowerShell Studio]Context Menu Arguments

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 6 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gfreeman

[Pre-sale][PowerShell Studio]Context Menu Arguments

Post by gfreeman »

Hi
I'm trying to automate a lot of my daily workload, and I'm starting at simple AD updates based on emails sent from our HR department's system. Alas there is no support for AD integration by the HR system vendor, but they do allow CSV reports to be run and saved locally. I'll get to that later but first I am wondering if I can update AD from the emails the HR dept sometimes throw my way. The most obvious of these from my point of view is when an employee is terminated (happens a few times a day) - it's a templated email so the only thing that changes is the employee's name.

I've been wondering if using PowerShell Studio I can eventually do something like this:

-I Select the text of the employee's name
-Right-click the selected text
-From the context menu choose "AD > Terminate", or "AD > Password reset" or "AD > Other-type-of-AD-action" and have that happen.

So for the Terminate, PowerShell would look up the employee's userPrincipalname using the selected text, disable the account and move it to the Leavers OU. Similarly for a password reset - we use personalised default passwords based on unique employee information, e.g. postal code, date of birth, home phone number etc, so when a password is reset it's specific to that employee (but obviously they must change it on first login). So rather than the same default password for everyone it's simple to script each individual's default password when they want it reset. This is done manually at the moment but I'd like to get to the point where it's as simple as select user's name, right-click, choose "reset password".

So is this something that can be done using PowerShell Studio? Could I put together an executable that does this, or is this a simple script called from the context menu?

My employer won't pay for the licence but I'd quite happily cough up my own money if it makes my job easier (yes I'll be taking it with me if I leave them and yes they know this and yes they will get their own licence if they like what I make well enough to use it after I'm gone).
Just don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on something that won't assist me getting to where I want to be.

Thanks!
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: [Pre-sale][PowerShell Studio]Context Menu Arguments

Post by davidc »

If it can be done with PowerShell it should be able to be done in PowerShell Studio. Creating the GUI is more advanced than creating a normal script, but the benefits from an end user perspective definitely make it worthwhile. Everything runs in PowerShell and you need to respond to user events, such as when they click a button or menu item.

I recommend using the trial to create a basic GUI. We have various articles on our Information Center to get you started:

http://info.sapien.com/index.php/guis

If you need further help, you can post questions on our PowerShell GUIs forum:

viewforum.php?f=21

As for executables, PowerShell Studio allows you can convert your scripts into executables at the touch of a button. With a GUI interface, all the user needs to do is click on the exe and the GUI will appear.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
gfreeman

Post by gfreeman »

Excellent thanks,

I'm trying out the Studio using the trial version. I have some variable scope questions so I'll head on over to the PowerShell GUIs forum.

Cheers!
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.