Powershell Help Download

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is no longer allowed as the product has been discontinued.
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
andreww

Powershell Help Download

Post by andreww »

I'm getting the same error. I only downloaded the PowerShell Help tool yesterday (20th) so presume I have the right version. I have Vista x64 Ultimate RTM, and Powershell RTM as well."Powershell host cannot be instantiated, check system requirements and run installer"I tried tracing the startup with process monitor as I thought it was maybe checking for powershell.exe in a certain location (discrepancy with Program Files(x86) for example), but I didn't see it.Any thoughts ?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Powershell Help Download

Post by Alexander Riedel »

We have not tested the tool under any 64 bit OS, we assume that this 32 bit application simply cannot launch a 64 bit PowerShell instance.
We will see if we can create a 64 bit version at some point.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
andreww

Powershell Help Download

Post by andreww »

Thanks Alexander. Do you have any info on how the powershell is instantiated, ie is the exe spawned via reading some registry key, or does it look for it in a single 'known' or hard-coded location for example?If so, I may be able to solve this by creating an ntfs junction point, or perhaps by copying a file about...Thanks
andreww2007-02-21 04:29:08
Alexander Riedel

Powershell Help Download

Yeah I know exactly how it works, after all, I wrote it :-)

Our connection component references the System.Management.Automation assembly (which should be in your GAC) to create the necessary objects, which in turn launches powerShell.exe. There is nothing hardcoded about it.

Maybe in the next version we will simply read the xmlfiles directly and not even use an instance of PowerShell, then we shouldn't have any 64/32 bit problems any more.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
jimsau

Powershell Help Download

Post by jimsau »

I'm running on 64 bit Server 2003. When you install 64 bit Powershell, it installs both 32 and 64 bit versions of PS.

Since the latest update, PowerShell Help works OK on x64 for me.jimsau2007-02-21 07:14:26
Alexander Riedel

Powershell Help Download

Hmm, maybe its something with Vista. I guess I need to get my hands on a 64 bit Vista test machine :-)

Alex
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.