Document Explorer doesn't open .MHT files

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Deal_Maker

Document Explorer doesn't open .MHT files

Post by Deal_Maker »

Product, version and build: 7.2.91
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit
Operating system: Windows 7
32 or 64 bit OS: 64-bit

I was scripting and wanted a little help. I opened document explorer by clicking on the icon for the manual on the Home ribbon and got 2 dialog boxes entitled "File Download", one in front of the other. The back one was the file download progress bar, and the front one (modal) gave me the option to Open, Save or Cancel the file PrimalScript.mht, Type: Application, 864 KB. The directory path was not completely visible on the dialog box: C:\ProgramData\Sapien\Document Explorer\Content..., but I figured it out by going to the location. The entire path is below:
C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\Document Explorer\Content\Manuals\PrimalScript
In this directory are 20 or so .mht files, none of which open from Document Explorer.

1) The first problem was that .MHT was registered to another program (strangely, one I installed BEFORE PrimalScript 2016), PST Viewer Pro 8, an e-mail file viewer. I changed the association for .MHT files.

2) After changing the association for .MHT to SAPIEN Document Explorer.exe, double-clicking on a the PrimalScript.MHT file opens SDE (SAPIEN Document Exporer) to the Sapien Document Explorer screen that says "Welcome to the SAPIEN Document Explorer on a while background. Then just below that, on a yellow background, there is a description of SDE and several hyperlinks on the right-hand side.

3) Then I tried using the tree on the left of SDE to open a help file. I expanded Manuals, then PrimalScript and saw a list of several entries (seem to match the files I found in the directory above). One by one, I double-clicked several of the 18 topics and each time I did, a the download dialog box pops up with Open and Save as options. I select Open, but it does not open the file. Instead, it leaves me on a tab in SDE that says "No results found" with two blue hyperlinks below it that say:
Search Google for C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\Document Explorer\Content\Manuals\PrimalScript.mht
Search Bing for C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\Document Explorer\Content\Manuals\PrimalScript.mht

Nothing else is on the tab.
Please help me fix this. Not sure what I did to break it. Its the first time I've used help.

THanks,
David
DevinL

Re: Document Explorer doesn't open .MHT files

Post by DevinL »

The issue with Document Explorer not opening mht files appears to be a bug and I've reproduced it on my end so I've filed an internal report in the mean time.

As for the download dialog box I'm unable to recreate this and unsure of what would cause this. I'll speak with the developers and figure out what this could be and get back to you.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Document Explorer doesn't open .MHT files

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It is actually not a bug. .MHT file are not, never have been and should not be associated with Document Explorer. MHT is a Microsoft document format, basically HTML with images embedded.
It is normally associated with Internet Explorer and Document Explorer uses a system component to display the manual pages.

I do not really know what you had screwed up before, but the only way to fix this is probably to find a machine with the original association (Internet Exlorer) and set your machine correctly.
Whatever this email program did to associate a Microsoft document file format to itself, that is where the problem started.

I suggest to create a virgin Windows VM and export the relevant registry entries there to re-import them at your machine.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.