PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Support for all customers who have purchased a PrimalScript product license. This forum does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
User avatar
gmichaud
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by gmichaud » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Product: PrimalScript (64 Bit)
Build: v7.4.120
OS: Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)
Build: v10.0.16299

At least one Unicode character that we have used in our scripts for many years causes the 2019 version to stop reading the script file, sometimes with gibberish after the character. The 2018 and 2014 versions read everything just fine.

The right double arrow is particularly troublesome:
" » "
In a comment it seems to simply stop reading the script. In code it causes the odd error you will find in the attached file, as well as an error that some lines are over 8128 characters long (they are NOT).
UnicodeError.zip
(41.1 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Thanks,

Gerald Michaud
gmichaud@dxc.com

BTW, the dropdown on this web page to "select code" type doesn't seem to have a selection for vbscript. We make a LOT of vbscripts. Hopefully some day we'll move to powershell, but for the foreseeable future it's all vbscript.
Thanks,
Gerry

User avatar
Olga_B
Site Admin
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 am

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by Olga_B » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for reporting the issue.
The issue has been sent to the proper place for evaluation and correction. When a fix is issued with a service build, it will be listed in the change log.

User avatar
Alexander Riedel
Posts: 6818
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by Alexander Riedel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 pm

It's fixed and in QA. There is new code to detect BOMs (Byte Order Marks) mid file because some folks started to concatenate unicode files with the good old DOS copy command. That created problems as you might imagine. The detection code was flawed though, so that caused your problem. Thought maybe you are curious :D
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
gmichaud
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by gmichaud » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks for the quick resolution and extra info. I DO like to hear these details.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that no matter how hard you try to think of all the usage scenarios and all possible ways users can break something, they'll still surprise you!

Any idea how long this will remain in QA? I'd like to provide an ETA to the rest or our team.

Thanks,
Gerry
Thanks,
Gerry

User avatar
Alexander Riedel
Posts: 6818
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by Alexander Riedel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Not sure at the moment. There are few other changes in that build that still require some work. I will know more after today.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
Alexander Riedel
Posts: 6818
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by Alexander Riedel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 pm

The fix has been released in the latest service build (7.4.121).
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
gmichaud
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

Re: PrimalScript 2019 problem with unicode character

Post by gmichaud » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:27 am

thanks. i'll test it this morning.
Thanks,
Gerry