PrimalScript 2020 Freezing repeatedly

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
stb442@gmail.com

PrimalScript 2020 Freezing repeatedly

Post by stb442@gmail.com »

Attempting to edit an existing VBS file or simply scroll through the file PrimalScript will freeze. Sometimes the application will return to functioning after a delay of several seconds to minutes.

This occurs on multiple different VBS scripts that are completely unrelated. It does not happen every time. It does happen enough that notepad is a more reliable solution. It can be recreated with regularity by selecting parts of a line and attempting to scroll or move off the selection.

I have attached a screen shot of the freeze and a basic vbs that will cause the issue on my machine, although it will occur with any vbs file.

Product, version and build:
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64bit PrimalScript 2020 Version 7.7.142.0
Operating system: Windows 10 64bit 1909 OS Build 18363.959
Attachments
OpenExcel.vbs
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
2020-07-22 12_08_39-PrimalScript 2020 - Excel_Open.vbs (Not Responding).png
2020-07-22 12_08_39-PrimalScript 2020 - Excel_Open.vbs (Not Responding).png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 8341 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PrimalScript 2020 Freezing repeatedly

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I have been running this in the debugger for six minutes, selecting, scrolling, de-selecting, again and again with no ill effect. I have seen no spikes in CPU or memory allocation that would account for a freeze condition. That leads me to suspect that there is something else at play, specially since it is intermittent.
If you are willing we can do some experiments to see if we can narrow it down.
1. A long freeze is often a network timeout problem. Please indicate if the file is local or on a network drive.
Make sure for an additional test the file is not in any folder that is cloud synced. Microsoft OneDrive can be particularly problematic.
2. Use another language file, e.g. a PowerShell file and see if the issue occurs there. That will allow us to see if it is language and thereby parser related or not.
3. Place the file on a memory stick with a FAT file system. If the issue goes away it would indicate a problem with the persistent undo information or your file system.
4. Go to File - Options - PrimalSense and uncheck "live syntax check". If that makes it go away it would indicate a problem with a Microsoft system component on your machine.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
stb442@gmail.com

Post by stb442@gmail.com »

The issue has to be related to something local on my machine. Thank you for the additional troubleshooting steps.

The issue persists with Live Syntax off. Local File as well as USB Fat. Freeze is less likely to be permanent crash on local file. Attempted a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Appears to be VBS files only, test with local/network Powershell scripts does not experience the same issues.

Different machine with similar software footprint, same Primalscript version, same network, and same file set does not experience any issue.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Well, that does make it more interesting, doesn't it.
Do you have Visual Studio installed on that computer, if so, what version?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.