PrimalScript 2011 update install procedure

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 12 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

There is a nice "pinned" topic on the PrimalScript2009 update procedure.
I am missing the PrimalScript 2011 procedure.
As there are now three add/remove items: PrimalScript 2011, Primal Merge 2011 and Sapien Document Explorer - i wonder if all needs to be un-installed before an update is installed.
The size of the update suggests that it contains all these applications.
Merge and DocExplorer do not have their own check for updates.

Thanks for your time,
Peter
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Just run the installer. It will uninstall and re-install what needs to be updated. It's all automatic.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Great, nice to know. The automatic uninstall is a sign of progress.
Thanks,
Peter
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Uh, I just installed PS 2011 and it did NOT uninstall the old nor did it seem to migrate anything I had configured in the old version. And, I click on the new icons for 2011 and at first it seems to not work but I eventually get an error (too fast but something about PS cache?) and it then prompts for admin authentication. I installed as an admin and usually run using my admin account but normally I am logged in using my normal account. (Yeah, one of the few admins who acually practices what we preach!) but I should be able to run as a normal user. Ho hum...I guess I got to go back and uninstall everything. Another program that expects everyone to be an admin likely. Sorry guys, You know I love PS and have been around for over 10 years but I have to say that I have never really had a seamless upgrade. I am sure I can get it to work the way I want, this is not my first rodeo. But just a little disappointed here. -ck
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Ok, at the end of the day, I don't have much to configure. I logged in using my admin account and tried the upgrade. No go. I unstialled 2011 and 2009 and restarted. Installed 2011 and set it up as I like it. It always prompts for elevation. If I log in using my nomral account, it alsp prompts so a normal user simply can't use it. No a big deal as I don't usually run PS as normal user. Now, I can browse to any file and right click and choose edit with PS and it is fine. But, if I use the file browser (preferred and what I do with 2009) it crashes PS. I am using 6.0.134 on Win7 with sp1 64bit. -ck
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Ok, I will post a new thread on the file browser but to follow up. I guess it does let me run as a normal user and does not prompt.
Alexander Riedel

It only prompts for permission to registry modification the first time. Subsequent starts should not require any such permission. It does not require elevation.The installer does uninstall - reinstall automatically.If you install as a different user rather than the current user using elevation, some settings have to be repeated after the first run on the regular user id.
Alexander Riedel
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Well, I can only tell you I tested with my one PC. Even logged in as my admin account it still did not uninstall 2009. It left both installations side by side and usable. We just processed a PO for new licenses so I was using the installer from the 'Try it' link. I wonder if that is different? Thanks-ck
Alexander Riedel

I am sorry. I didn't see anywhere that this was about updating from 2009. My assumption was that this was referring to updating 2011 from one build to the next.2009 and 2011 should be able to peacefully co-exist. It is recommened that you re-install 2011 after you removed 2009, as the 2009 installer does remove some files that are shared.
Alexander Riedel
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Ok. Got it. At the end of the day, what do I really have to configure anyway? I adjust some windows/etc. and I lost a macro but that can all be recreated. Sorry I was not clear. Re-reading my original posts I see the confusion. Thanks for the great product BTW.
This topic is 12 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.