PrimalScript 2011 crashing

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
Alexander Riedel

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Hmm, this thread is littered with folks jumping in, so I apologize if you already told me some things I am about to ask. From reading the thread I see that

- You are using VBScript, mostly.
- No specific activity can be tied to the crash
- You have not installed any newer 2008 runtime at this point.

Is this still correct?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

dominik.ecke

Post by dominik.ecke »

hi Alexander,

the information from post 1 is still valid, including OS info and the crash infos (MSVCR90.dll version 9.0.30729.6161. Should be the newest one...?).
Only exceptions are:
- my system does get all current hotfixes, so it is more up-to-date now (which means MS hotfixes did not fix this problem)
- the ntdll.dll now is version 6.1.7600.16915

regarding the crash: info is also correct. I can say that so far the crash occurs most of the time when scrolling within (any) VBScript. But it may crash immediately after opening the file and scrolling, or even if the file was open for hours, then I reactivate the window, scroll and it crashes.

You wrote something about being in contact with MS...?

cheersdominik.ecke2012-01-31 11:13:09

Alexander Riedel

Well, we have isolated a problem in the runtime and worked around it, but obviously that wasn't the problem you have.

Refresh my memory, scrolling with keys, scrollbar or mouse wheel (mostly). I am hoping to find a correlation there.

I also have to look at the possibility of a memory leak here, so can you see if this mostly happens if PrimalScript has been running for a longer time already or just as much if you just started it?
Alexander Riedel

dominik.ecke

Post by dominik.ecke »

I'm always scrolling with mouse wheel.
Also I'm using a German keyboard layout (I mentioned that before, maybe still important).

It also happens on newly opened scripts, when Primalscript was not opened already (so clicking "Edit with Primalscript" opens it up). However I cannot tell if it ever happened on the first script opened after logging in to the system, or only after Primalscript ran at least once.
(-> I have a bad habbit to close Primalscript completely if I don't need to edit the script anymore, instead of just closing the script ;))

One more thing: I'm opening scripts 99% of the time from network shares.dominik.ecke2012-01-31 11:43:11

Alexander Riedel

No good, so we eliminated a memory leak as the cause, that is good. :-)
Good for me that is.

Open Tools - Options - Text Editor - PrimalSense
The two options:
- "Enable live syntax check"
- "Treat open files as project"

Are they checked? Please uncheck both for a day or two and see if that makes any difference.

Are your files ANSI, UTF-8 or Unicode ? You can see in the status bar. Sorry if I asked that before.

Next, go to Tools - Options - Text Editor - General
Uncheck "Save undo information" for a day or two and see if that makes a difference.

Admittedly I am just poking in the dark here, but by eliminating all possible scenarios we should get to it. Thanks for your patience!
Alexander Riedel

dominik.ecke

Post by dominik.ecke »

hi again,

files are usually ASCII (that's what it says in the status bar of Primalscript).

"Enable live syntax check" was checked. I unchecked it for now and will wait a few days to see if I again get crashes.

cheers

Alexander Riedel

ASCII. Hmm, maybe therein lies the rub. I'll check on that....
Alexander Riedel

gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

Alexander, Several of us here also started seeing the random crashes. For me they started about a month or 2 ago. I updated to 6.0.158 bot no change. We all use Windows 7 Enterprise x74, but I just installed .158 on an XP SP3 VM and it crashed on the 2nd start. I right-clicked on my vbscript, the context menu did NOT display, and it crashed. It had been running for only a minute. For me, most of the crashes seem to be when scrolling, but I had this one on right-click and another when clicking from one vertical tab group to another. One of the guys had not installed any primalscript updates since this past summer, but he also started seeing the crashes (4 times on Monday). He updated but it didn't help. He has NOT installed primalscript updates, but has installed most of the current Windows 7 updates. Most of us do. So, I'm thinking this may be related to an OS security patch, .NET update, etc. Do your test machines have all the latest updates? Hope this helps,Gerry

gmichaud2012-02-01 10:32:29
Thanks,
Gerry

Alexander Riedel

Yes, all test machines are updated.
Can you tell me if the source files opened are unicode or ASCII?
I am currently investigating if the initial conversion has anything to do with it.
The right click info might help, thanks, this gives me a specific spot to look.
Thanks for the info.
Alexander Riedel

gmichaud

Post by gmichaud »

We all are editing ASCII vbscript files. Speaking for myself, PS is all I use for editing these files. No notepad or other editors. Also, please note my updates in my last post.
Thanks,
Gerry