Save Script Encoded not working correctly

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

To whom it may concern,

I have Win XP Sp2 and PSP 4.1 build 534.

When I use the menu Save Script encoded the beginning of the file has two ? instead of the comment mark ' that was there before and of course the script will NOT run in this condition. What can be causing this?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

An encoded script file (vbe,jse) is not human readable, so the characters don't retain their original meaning.

Maybe I am not understanding where these characters show up.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,

As you know the encoding starts where the comment:

'**Start Encode**

is located in the script. Anything before that is left as it was. Or at least should be.

This means that the shortest possible readable line would be exactly that, and this first line would still be readable, and is, even in the *.vbe file.

Sapien has a template header portion when we create a new vb script file. Well I use that pretty much just as it is, and then when I encode a script on my Win XP machine at home the very first ' comment mark if replace with two question marks. When I try to start the script the cscript.exe or the wscript.exe tells me that at line 1 character 1 there is problem.
When I open the file with notepad I see the two question marks, then I replace them with the ' mark, save then file and then it works again as it used to.
At work I only have Win 2000 so I can NOT check to see if this is a general Win XP problem. But I don't think it can be a general problem or else lots of people other than my self would be having it and more than likely already reported it to you. So, I am letting you guys know that I am having this problem so that we can 1) get it solved and 2) so that you guys are aware of such a problem and will know the cause as soon as we get it solved together.

Please let me know what I need to check to find out what is 'corrupting' the *.vbe files.
Alexander Riedel

Please check if you have IE7 on that computer. I have multiple computers
where installing IE7 broke the script encoder.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 4&SiteID=1

Alex
Alexander Riedel2007-03-13 01:52:42
Alexander Riedel
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi Alex,

You hit the nail right on the head, yes I do have IE7 on this machine. What do we do NOW?

Could this also be what is causing the internal debugger to no longer work on this machine?

I had open another 'ticket' about that but it still does not work.

If they broke the normal encoding maybe your debugger is having a simular problem.
Thanks, let me know what I should try.
Alexander Riedel

Did you read the remedy in the MSDN forum?
Basically you cannot use '**Start Encode** anymore.
Since this is a Microsoft component, there is really nothing we can do.

As for the debugger, IE7 should NOT break that. Try running
with /RESETDEBUGGER (make sure its all uppercase) and START debugging in that
session.

I don't recall what error message you got, so please let me know.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi Alex,

I DO NOT usually go looking for things in MSDN.

I have had NO reason to think that the installation of a new browser version should, in any way, changed the way functioning vb scripts are encoded. This is something that I hate about Microsoft that they changed a good perfectly good work system for something that does NOT work, for NO GOOD REASON.

If we are NOT supposed to use '**Start Encode** anymore then WHAT are we supposed to use?

As I said before, if I correct the first character back to the ' as it should be then the encoded script works as it should.

What does IE7 have to do with the '**Start Encode** anyway?

I already tried using the /RESETDUBUGGER switch but it DID NOT help, and I did NOT have the time up to now to let you guys know. You or Don J. had asked some dll's version on the machine, but if I remember correctly it was the version it was supposed to be. But it still does NOT work.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,
As I have not heard from you yet about my comments above, I took a look in MSDN and searched for **Start Encode**. All I found was the normal information about how the encoding works and when, here nothing has changed.
I then added ie7 to the search and found just 1 thread where someone else had also discovered this 'BUG', I call it a BUG because the way I read the thread this destroy's the effect that is to be achived with the encoding of script in the first place.
If Microsoft DOES NOT FIX this BUG then there are going to be a lot of other people who are sorry that they EVER installed the IE7 on their machines.
Maybe you can help Microsoft see that this is a BIG problem that is brewing like a huricane.
Alexander Riedel

Please follow the link I posted earlier:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 4&SiteID=1
I guess this is what you already found.

I'll ask Don to use his MVP connections to make some inquiries.

I did some digging and the change seems to be located in VBScript.dll (!)

The version of DLL that is working: 5.6.0.8820The version that is not: 5.7.0.5730
I have not tested what side effects or security issues you get when you
replace this dll with an older version.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi Alex,

Yes that is exactly the one I had found, and the ONLY one.

From reading it I can see that this MUST be a mistake, on Microsofts part.

I can NOT think that they want to kill all of the web-sites that are using their software, that would be very counter productive to all, even them.
This topic is 17 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.