Save Script Encoded not working correctly

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
donj

Post by donj »

I asked around and folks are aware of this but nobody was aware of the reasoning. Unfortunately, for the time being at least, we seem to be somewhat stuck with it. I'm sending a query up to my MVP lead to see if I can at least discover the reasoning behind this, and I'm adding it to the SAPIEN knowledge base as well.donj2007-03-16 08:35:19
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi Don,

If you would take a look at the encoded files that are being generated you will see that the first character of the encoded file is being replaced with two (2) question marks. By manually replacing this with a ' character the encoded file then works as it always did before.

SO All Microsoft has to do is take a look at the source code that was used to generate the exes and dlls that are involved and it should be VERY easy to find out why this is happening.

If I was one of those programmers I would have this fixed in five minutes.

If they DO NOT then they will have to get ready for people to throw the IE7 OUT / deinstall it. AND ONLY reinstall it AFTER Microsoft has fixed this BUG.

I hope you can find someone at Microsoft who cares enough to DO something FAST. It only hurts Microsoft to drag this out any longer.

I personally don't mind if they distroy themselves, but I will NOT let them take me with them.

I guess that I need to reinstall the IE6 to fix this.

Please let me know how things develop.

Thanks for the info up to now.
donj

Post by donj »

Unfortunately it's not quite that straightforward to get Microsoft to make changes to shipped products like Internet Explorer :).

The current behavior in IE7 appears to be INTENDED on Microsoft's part; what I'm trying to discover was their reasoning for it. After all, this isn't something that could have happened "accidentally" in their code.

Escalating something like this into the Microsoft organization is not something that happens quickly - I don't expect to hear back soon, and certainly don't expect this behavior to change soon. So you should probably do what you need to get your environment working, rather than wait.

Even if they do decide that this is a bug and decide to switch back to the earlier behavior, it might well not happen until the next operating system-level service pack. Even a hotfix will take some time to develop and release as this isn't a "critical" issue (e.g., one affecting OS stability or security, but rather functionality).

Just wanted to set some expectations. Whatever I hear, though, I'll definitely post.

Probably the only way for this to move faster would be for a customer like yourself to pay for a product support incident. If Microsoft agrees that the functionality is incorrect (e.g., a bug), they'll refund the incident and offer a fix. Not saying you should DO this... just explaining how things work internally at MS.donj2007-03-19 07:57:08
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi Don,

Thanks for all the info.

I will try to get the IE7 Deinstalled and the IE6 reinstalled.

I will NOT be the one that opens a service call to ANY company that requires that I pay them money, on top of what the registered product cost, in order for them to 'fix' their broken software.

Sapien is different because buying the software and keeping it current is my ticket to your GREAT support just as it should be. The rewards are in using the product itself, and that you guys listen to us users and check out what we report, and fix what needs fixing, and educating us when we are doing something wrong.

If they (Microsoft) are NOT smart enough to do this the way it used to work then they can sufficate on their errors and maybe figure it out when all the paying customers leave them in their own mess.

The one thread that is opened already should be enough for them to get this fixed and for them to see the ramifications of NOT fixing it.

With the EXTRA work that you have tried to do, it should be enough of a wake-up call for them. If they can NOT put two and two together, then I can NOT help them either.

I have seen myself that this 'problem' acts differently in different situations. Some times the 'new' vbe file is completely empty.

It will be interesting to see how fast, if at all, that Microsoft fixes this problem.

Have fun keep us posted. And until then, it's back to the old reliable.
DrewEaston2007-03-19 11:14:57
This topic is 17 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.