ClearType in 4.1

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Russ Pitcher

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Russ Pitcher »

I see that ClearType has been disabled in PS 4.1.

Is there any way of turning this back on as I find my scripts a lot less readable as they are displayed now, particularly for italic fonts?
JayAdams

ClearType in 4.1

Post by JayAdams »

Same here. Why would that be disabled? It's very useful.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It was disabled because of a Windows font measurement bug.We will re-enable this when we found another work around.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Russ Pitcher

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Russ Pitcher »

I recall the thread about the bug, but I feel that it was a minor annoyance that could be corrected by choosing to turn off ClearType if you felt that that action was warranted.

Myself and others (see other post) now have no choice but to put up with what we see as a massively inferior display. Surely the best thing to do is to give the user the option of disabling it in the application if possible (as in Adobe Acrobat) or at the system level (as before) instead of forcing us all to go down one path!

Russ PitcherRuss Pitcher2006-11-15 10:52:59
christian@realisticgames.co.uk

ClearType in 4.1

Post by christian@realisticgames.co.uk »

I second Russ's comments above and would welcome an option to enable/disable Cleartype.

Christian Riley
louisxiv

ClearType in 4.1

Post by louisxiv »

It was disabled because of a Windows font measurement bug.We will re-enable this when we found another work around.I feel that disabling ClearType altogether is an overreaction the the seriousness of the problem. I only consciously took note of the effect when that previous forum thread appeared. It strikes me as being purely cosmetic; it had never confused me or caused coding or comprehension errors in my work; those who found it distracting could switch off ClearType if they wished.I would strongly prefer to have ClearType available please. I find the current ClearType-less display ugly and distracting, particularly as I prefer have my syntax colouring set to normal fonts rather than bold.Obviously I was unwise in upgrading my 4.0 keys for 4.1. Moral: upgrade in haste, repent at leisure. I'll just have to reinstall 4.0 in trial mode I suppose...
Jean-Pierre.Paradis@fsa.ulaval.ca

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Jean-Pierre.Paradis@fsa.ulaval.ca »

It was disabled because of a Windows font measurement bug.We will re-enable this when we found another work around

I totally agree.
I can live with the "Windows font measurement bug", but 7 hours a day without ClearType is really annoying.

Clearly, it was a mistake to upgrade to 4.1

Please fix this quickly.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Gentlemen, you are all clearly beating a dead horse.
As I already stated above, this will be enabled again as soon as we can manage.

But just to set the record straight, it was not an "over reaction". It simply did not occur to me as desirable to look at the fuzzy, smudged, headache inducing cleartype fonts all day long. Everyone I talked to finds 7 hours a day WITH ClearType really annoying.

I apologize for underestimating your need and desire for this.
It will be switched back on as I have already stated.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
dan@axios-it.com.au

ClearType in 4.1

Post by dan@axios-it.com.au »

Just my contribution to the horse bashing:

It may be bad on a CRT, but on a hi-res LCD it's a god send. Also looks odd that half the program is CT and half is not...

... And you only work 7 hours a day! Lucky you ;)
Jean-Pierre.Paradis@fsa.ulaval.ca

ClearType in 4.1

Post by Jean-Pierre.Paradis@fsa.ulaval.ca »

ClearType is BACK !
I just installed the new version 4.1.530 and ClearType is enable again.

Thanks a lot Alex to have listen to us and to have fixed that so quickly.

By the way, ClearType may be annoying on a CRT but on my ThinkPad (LCD) it's a must.
This topic is 17 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.