Change Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut to close current file?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
abqbill

Change Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut to close current file?

Post by abqbill »

Keyboard map in help lists Ctrl+W as the keyboard shortcut to close the current file. This is a pretty standard mapping. This seems to be mapped to "select current word" rather than "close current file."

I tried the following:

1. Open the Customize Keyboard dialog
2. Select All Commands in Categories list
3. Select last Close entry (there are multiple?) in Commands list; description below lists this particular Close as "Close the active document"
4. I go to the "Press new shortcut key" field and press Ctrl+W

It shows that it's currently assigned to "????" and the "Assign" button at the bottom of the dialog is grayed out.

How can I correct this keyboard assignment?

Thanks!

Bill
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Change Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut to close current file?

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The Ctrl+W listing is an error, left over from previous versions.

Since there is already a Windows standard key for closing applications (Alt+F4), the hotkey was mapped to the more mnemonic and more common "Select word".

I will make a note to have the help file updated.

Standard keys cannot be remapped at this time.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
abqbill

Re: Change Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut to close current file?

Post by abqbill »

We used to be able to do this in PS 2009. I vote for a move away from ribbon interface if it straight-jackets users and prevents configurability. The side-effect of loss of configurability is unfortunate, particularly for a power-user kind of application that PS should be.

Where can we find the actual list of keyboard shortcuts if the on-line help is not correct?

Thanks,

Bill
This topic is 10 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.