PSP 4.1 Documentation pictures blury

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Guys,

I can see that you have a lot to do, with the new version 4.1, getting some of the finer points to run on the varitiy on machines and installations that we, the customers all have.

Version 4.1 is a BIG improvement over 4.0. Some of the things that I was wanting/needing in previous version are NOW available. As always, getting better all the time. Keep up the GREAT work.

When you have time please have someone look at the 4.1 documentations screen shots. They are, to 90%, blury / out of focus. If someone was trying to save on size then they saved too much. Even when zooming in, or printing out, the information is very difficult to read.

I have 1600x1200x16bit resolution, and the shots should be really sharp, but they are not.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Yes you are correct and I have already asked that the quality needs to be improved.
We will improve the standard version and also have a hi-res version for download.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Thank you Alex for the quick response,
Please let us all know per e-mail when these are available.
donj

Post by donj »

A higher-quality (but very large file size) version is available for download at www.sapienpress.com/primalscript4.asp. We're also looking at alternative compression modules to provide a higher-quality with a smaller file size and will post any newer version at this same location.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Don,

I downloaded the above mentioned file yesterday.

NOW thats what I was expecting the first time.

I compared the size between the two file, the delta is only 341,003 Bytes. If I were you guys I would always put my best foot forward and include the slightly larger file so that when someone is looking to switch to PS that they will see that you guys DON'T CUT CORNERS. Because you don't, show them that right off the bat. I have a DSL connection and it took less than a minute to download this 'high res' version, that is a price well worth what I get for it. And if the manual is included in the DEMO version adding that little bit more to the installation size won't hurt as much as it helps, and SAPIEN will shine as it should.

I am happy with this 'slightly' larger file. A higher res version is NOT necessary. Thanks again.
donj

Post by donj »

It wasn't a matter of cutting corners for less than half a meg, Frank. It was a matter of the photo compression algorithms built into Acrobat, and where we came from. Read on.

I want to point out that the 4.0 version of the manual used the same settings that the 4.1 file started off with - but this was simply never raised as an issue or we would have been happy to address it. So either nobody read the manual for 4.0 (shocking), or nobody minded. Once the issue was raised, we tried to deal with it.

Understand how these things come about: When 4.0 was introduced, the compression algorithm we're now using in the PDF did not exist. A higher quality file was close to 53MB, which was unacceptable, and, as I've mentioned, nobody raised any concerns. When I produced the v4.1 manual, I just left all the settings alone since nobody had every complained about them.

Since folks raised the concern, I went in and spent some time experimenting, and looking at what Adobe offers these days for PDF image compression. Lo and behold, there's a better option, so I took it.

Moving forward, future service releases of the product, including the trials, will include this new version of the manual.

So, we did the best we could for the 4.0 manual, and had no concerns from folks. 4.1 comes out, and some concerns were raised - so we addressed 'em as quickly as possible.

I think we always try to put our best foot forward, though, using the tools and technologies which are available at the time. If sometimes a project like the manual needs a revisit to address valid concerns, we're happy to do that. Sometimes, you just don't get the same feedback during beta that you do during a wide release, so there's always stuff to be handled. The best we can do is try to handle it promptly.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Don,

Thank you for the complete details. If any of us had question they are all cleared up now.
I do like to know these details. I know that SAPIEN is an EXCELLENT company. If all other software companies only did half of what SAPIEN does for it's customers, and the way they do it, then the world would be a better place. Because most of the other companies don't seem to care at all, when new customers come to you they shoot with both barrels first and wait to see how you react. From all of the response that I have read, it is obvious that all of you care very much. I know that. And wil stay a SAPIEN customer as long as it remains so, so don't let any 'bigger' companies buy you out. Stay the way you are and the new customers will see over time that you guys make it work! And you keep us informed as well as can be expected sometimes even better.

As for the 4.0 manual. I just had another look at it, and there was/is NOTHING to complain about, that is why no one did. It is just fine the way it is. It was obviously just bad luck that the pics did not look so good in the 4.1 manual. And being as this 'new/better' version will be included (even without me asking for it to be) in the next appropriate version, then everything is running as it should at SAPIEN.

For me this problem is solved, excellently and QUICKLY, as always at SAPIEN.
This topic is 17 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.