Feature requests:

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gvonpickartz

Feature requests:

Post by gvonpickartz »

PowerShell Studio 2017 v5.4.145

Request 1: Allow code formatting to utilize custom rules. I like to see my keywords such as [ FUNCTION, IF, ELSE, DO, WHILE etc. ] all in uppercase. Now code-formatting breaks this.

Request 2: Allow third party extensions such as TortoiseSVN does for Visual Studio.

Request 3: Allow for "relative" path in the *.psproj.psbuild file so that TortoiseSVN synchronizing would work between project members. This is to prevent hard coded folders pointing to files not being present for other project members because their branch version is located on different drive/path.

Request 4: Allow for SUB-folders within a project, and that the WIX installer recognizes this as such. Now everything is forced to be in the root of the destination folder.

Request 5: Keep the WIX/msi creation folders also relative (or make it possible to do so optionally).

I use Sapien PowerShell Studio on daily basis, grind many hours of coding in it. I would like to see a step up in the quality geared towards "undistracted coding experience" where things like menu interfaces, code formatting etc does not distract my thoughts on the current project.

My user experience rating: 7/10.
Try and get it at 8.5 or higher please.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Feature requests:

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Thank you for your input. I will make sure it gets directed to the right people.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Request 1:
This feature request is on our wish list.

Request 2:
If Tortoise has a MSSCCI provider, it should be able to interface directly with PowerShell Studio. We hope to revamp the source control interface so that it no longer depends on MSSCCI and provide a more universal approach.

Request 3:
Have you tried editing the MSI Settings to use relative paths instead of absolute paths?

Request 4:
PowerShell Studio already supports folders.
https://www.sapien.com/blog/2015/09/21/ ... h-folders/

Any file with a Build setting of Content should automatically be included in the MSI.
Build Property Content.png
Build Property Content.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
David
gvonpickartz

Post by gvonpickartz »

Request 1: Good to know, thanks and hope to see that soon.

Request 2: Hope to see that change or move away from MSSCCI provider, but I will see what Tortoise offers on their forums etc.

Request 3: Editing of the path to only use ..\..\directory\file does work for most settings...
~ There seems to be a BUG with the BUILD MSI part thought. The folder is created at the desired location, for example two folders down from the source script ..\..\Msi_Staging. However, it creates another folder called Msi_Staging within the package source, and stores the pre-build files there, however the HEAT.EXE is looking at the right location to build the MSI, but finds no files.

Request 4:
The Folder support request I was expecting, is for the installer itself, so that files/tools I bring with the msi package is stored in their respective folders, this is not the case as everything is simply dumped in the root install destination, even if I did go to the trouble of adding those folders in the project, the MSI builder does not respect the configuration desired.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

You can use the Staging Folder option and the MSI builder will use the files and folder structure of the target folder.
MSI Staging Folder.png
MSI Staging Folder.png (20.63 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
https://www.sapien.com/blog/2014/10/14/ ... ld-7-0-49/
David
gvonpickartz

Post by gvonpickartz »

Okay, I have been this MSI creation for some time now. Now I want to utilize relative path Vs fixed path for various reasons related to Code Repository tools.

Try below as I have done and see what happens.

Also note that I am using or attempting to use relative path for the tools I want to bring. NOTE the big unpack.7z in there... I have to bring a zipped file so I can extract it in the correct folders as needed. That is the back-drop to the whole relative path, and MSI creation needing to respect the files I want to bring.

Ideally, i would like to do:
.\BIN\7z.exe
.\BIN\7z.dll
.\BIN\other stuff.

And when the MSI is created, it should retain the path structure. Now it just adds it all in one location as it sees it as a source list, but i have no control as destination extract location. ~ Would be nice to have a tick box per file, that would set a relative path for extraction on destination.
Attachments
Try_this.PNG
Try_this.PNG (20.26 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

https://www.sapien.com/blog/2014/10/14/ ... ld-7-0-49/

Please read the part about the staging folder. It also applies to PowerShell Studio.
Alexander Riedel
gvonpickartz

Post by gvonpickartz »

Okay, that makes things clear about the staging folder. I still wish that the options are visible in the IDE itself and or project details {settings etc.}.

Has anyone confirmed my observation, that when you do use relative paths for the MSI staging, that the HEAT.EXE tool cant find the files?
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.