I want to open a project and manage its files - any clues?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
kimballjohnson

I want to open a project and manage its files - any clues?

Post by kimballjohnson »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

powershell studio 2018
version 5.5.153

Windows server 2012 R2

Fact: you have some procedural instructions in your help system describing how to do some things with projects.
However, you provide no instructions on how a person is supposed to understand the process you have tried to devise.
1. I have created a 'project' using the 'new' menu grouping. Why did you segregate the new from the rest of the functionality?
And why can't i create a project where I need it to be? or why do i need to make a choice between where I need it to be this time, and having to put it in 'one place' in order to be able to have 'projects'?
2. however, when I open the product and go to the 'project panel', everything is greyed out as deactivated. so you are not keeping track of where projects are.
3. your help told me to set the default project area location. I did that, but after restarting the application, the project tools are still deactivated.
4. do you test your product? I have been trying to use this thing for several years, but each time I have to struggle through this baloney until I fall behind in my schedule and have to go back to just a ps command line.
5. can you give me an understanding of what settings will allow me to just 'find my project and start working' without having to read a bunch of stuff that you think is sufficient because its obvious to you because you decided to 'go this far and no farther' and then go back to stuff you think is more important for you?

And I have to take screen shots of code you wrote? to prove what?
Just send me your use case diagrams? maybe that will help!

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: I want to open a project and manage its files - any clues?

Post by davidc »

We welcome constructive criticism and I understand we all have outside pressures and deadlines to meet, but that is no excuse to be rude.

It would be of great help if you can provide some screenshots so that we can see what is happening on your end in regards to the project panel.

As for your questions:

Projects are separated because they are not the same as individual script files. A project is a collection of files used to create tools in PowerShell Studio. If you look at most major IDEs (including Visual Studio), projects distinguished from individual files.

Project Location:

When you create a new project, you can specify the location of the project in the New Project dialog:
New Project Location.png
New Project Location.png (101.22 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
You can also set the default location of the Projects in (Options->General):
Default Project Directory.png
Default Project Directory.png (111.47 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Reopening a Project:

To reopen the project, simply use the MRU list in the File menu:
MRU List.png
MRU List.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Or the list from the start page:
Start Page - Recent Project List.png
Start Page - Recent Project List.png (124.61 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Alternative, you can enable the "Restore open files on startup" option (Options->General):
Restore files on start up.png
Restore files on start up.png (109.16 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
And it will load all the open files from the previous session including the project.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mxtrinidad

Re: I want to open a project and manage its files - any clues?

Post by mxtrinidad »

Hum!!

I notice this is on a Windows Server 2008 R2. The grayed out project seems like a possible permission issue.
Have you check your folder permission on the server?

By the way, you know you could for most part, develop the project on the desktop system and then deploy to the server. As, development on a production server is not recommended, and is consider bad practice.

Our product doesn't tied you up to a default project folder, as you could put it anywhere you want. But then again, and as long as you have the proper folder permissions. But, of course, this is from a Desktop system and not a Server.

Have you try it on to replicate the issue on your desktop machine?
And, have you seen any error messages displayed on the Output panel?

Submitting print screen of the issue in question help us narrow down the root cause and help you quickly.
And, by the way, we do test our product before it gets release.

We are here to support you with any issues you're experiencing with our products.
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.