Auto-increment file version

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
kenswilson

Auto-increment file version

Post by kenswilson »

Product, version and build: 5.6.163.0
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows 10 (10.0.17763.475)
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

After installing 5.6.163 of PowerShell Studio, the auto-incrementing of the file version is incrementing the number in the 3rd position of the version instead of the 4th/last. Maybe I missed it in the change log, but normally auto-increment only changes the 4th/last number. Has this changed, and is this intended? Thank you.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Auto-increment file version

Post by davidc »

Yes, this is intentional. We changed the behavior because the Windows MSI installer only looks at the first three parts of the version number. When it incremented the 4th part (Revision), the installer will not register the change.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc

Post by davidc »

FYI, I updated the release notes to reflect this change.
David
kenswilson

Post by kenswilson »

Shouldn't a change like this be optional for your customers, or even better, configurable? What about all the use cases out there leveraging the long-standing versioning in place before this release, besides Windows MSI installer? I don't know about everyone else, but my EXE's have nothing to do with Windows Installer and have no use for it; now I'm left with two steps backward of manually setting the version at each compile, which is obviously not what I would have preferred. Thanks for the early notice and heads up.
davidc

Post by davidc »

I encourage you to file a feature request here:

https://sapien.com/requests

This way can track your request.
David
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.