Feature request for MSI installers

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
kdwisdom

Feature request for MSI installers

Post by kdwisdom »

Product: PowerShell Studio 2019 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.6.166
Build: v10.0.17134.0

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***
Unless there's an option I'm unaware of, MSI Installers completely wipe out and replace existing EXE's, etc.. for upgrades. So, for instance, if I go from 2.2.x.x to 2.3.x.x and install the latest version, it removes 2.2.x.x and installs 2.3.x.x

I have a pinned shortcut to my desktop set to run as administrator so it will prompt me to run my program with my elevated credentials.

I have to delete the pinned shortcut, pin the new shortcut and go back into the properties and select the checkbox to run it as administrator.

I would love it if there was a way to not have to complete replace the file, or if it could have some way of maintaining the same properties on the shortcut. But the shortcut doesn't even work at all when I install a new version of my program.

Any ideas?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Feature request for MSI installers

Post by Alexander Riedel »

That is basically how MSI works for updates. It uninstalls the old version, installs the new version.
There are options within MSI to allow side-by-side installs. There are options for creating patch installers, which will obviously only work if the root version is installed and patches are rolled out consecutively.
For the sake of simplicity, PrimalScript and PowerShell Studio create simple update installers, which remove and replace a previous version.

I am familiar with your dilemma though. Almost all software I use and have pinned, acts that same way. Our own product installers act that way as well.
Here is a discussion on this on Advanced installer's site: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/forum ... hp?t=26249
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 4 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.