Specified Icon file does not exist

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
petera

Specified Icon file does not exist

Post by petera »

To help you better we need some information from you.
Product: PowerShell Studio 2020 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.7.172
Build: v6.3.9600.0

I am trying to build an MSI. I can get the package to build but when I try to build the MSI I keep getting this error. Error: Specified icon file does not exist.
I am trying to use a custom icon, but I cannot even get your default icon to work.
Attachments
Error.png
Error.png (32.3 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 31 times

Re: Specified Icon file does not exist

Post by brittneyr »

I have not been able to reproduce this. Please try build 5.7.173 and let me know if the problem is still happening.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
petera

Post by petera »

I figured it out myself. I copied the project from another PC.
I looked at the PSbuild file, and noticed that the path to the product icon file, (line 8 from the screenshot), ''C:\Users\pamstutz\Pictures\Onboard.ico' was the path from the old PC.
The folder 'C:\Users\pamstutz' did not exist on the new PC. When I looked at the PSBuild file the ProductIcon path did not change, when I had created the package, but the other Icon variables "IconFile" had changed.

So the MSI builder was looking at the "ProductIcon" variable to find the Onboard.ico even though I had changed the package to use the gear.ico file.
2020-02-28_17-31-34.png
2020-02-28_17-31-34.png (13.29 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Last edited by petera on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Are you saying you did an install of PowerShell Studio 2020 and the folder "C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\Stock Icons" did not exist?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
petera

Post by petera »

No.
I copied the project from another PC.
I copied the onboard.ico file to a new folder on the new PC.
I initally selected the new path to the onboard.ico file when I created the package.
The package created without a problem.
When I tried to build the MSI, it gave me the specified icon does not exist error, but the error does not tell me what ico file it is looking for.
So, I built the package with Sapien gear.ico file. When trying to create the MSI, it still gave me the "Specified icon does not exist" error again.
That is when I started this post.
I looked in the PS build file and found that line 8 had the icon file I wanted to use, Onboard.ico, but the path was wrong. I manually edited PsBuild file and put the correct path that was on the new PC, and the MSI build worked.

So what I am trying to say is that if you copy the PsBuild file from another PC, and use a different icon path when you create the package, then try to build an MSI from the new package, PowerShell Studio does not update the ProductIcon path in the PS build file, and will not create the MSI.
This topic is 4 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.