Old blog post about a new multi-thread Sapien 'Host'

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
ALIENQuake
Has voted: 4 times

Old blog post about a new multi-thread Sapien 'Host'

Post by ALIENQuake »

Hi,

A long time ago I read your blog post about a new multithread Sapien 'Host' which would allow running PS code as multi-thread. I can't find it now but it was definitely there.

Can you give us an update regarding this matter?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Old blog post about a new multi-thread Sapien 'Host'

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Oh boy that was a long time ago. I cannot find it either and it was most likely me writing that. I only recall at sometime planning on something like that, not many details.
Basically it was shot down since it would forever tie the execution of a script to a SAPIEN Script host. The script would not operate running in the regular shell.
That would at the very least create a support problem. Additionally, since Powershell now has jobs (which really are external processes) it seems to be a duplication of effort.
Can you give us some details about what drives this question?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
ALIENQuake
Has voted: 4 times

Re: Old blog post about a new multi-thread Sapien 'Host'

Post by ALIENQuake »

The main reason is how painful the usage of Jobs is, even with SAPIEN Job Tracker helpers (coping functions, weird syntax, code complexity and the ability to debug the code inside the job etc) compared to the c# Tasks usage.

I would gladly accept the tradeoffs that you mention because those are completely irrelevant when the script itself is a fully fledged GUI application.
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.