File dialogue box

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 11 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
scott.norton

File dialogue box

Post by scott.norton »

An automatic refresh does not occur after any activity in the file dialogue box during an Open, Save, and SaveAs of a script or project.

Example 1) you cannot see a 'new folder' without manually refreshing (F5) the dialogue box.
Example 2) you cannot see the new name of a 'rename'd entry without manually refreshing (F5) the dialogue box.

PSS2012v3.1.10 on Windows 8. Note, I have seen this behaviour on different version windows (7/8) and different versions of PSS2012.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

File dialogue box

Post by Alexander Riedel »

This is a manifestation of a well documented Windows bug. The file dialog is nothing else but Windows Explorer in a dialog. It's not our dialog, it's a Windows standard dialog.
(http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows+ex ... refreshing)

When this happens, you can verify this by switching to a Windows Explorer instance and doing a similar operation there as well. It will also not refresh automatically.

I find that I can "fix" this by bringing up the Windows Task Manager and killing all instances of Windows Explorer. Starting a new instance (File->New Task) then will become your desktop again.

Sometimes though you just have to restart. I know it's frustrating.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
scott.norton

File dialogue box

Post by scott.norton »

Thank you Alexander.

I understand what you are saying. I do find it interesting that in my case, I have only seen the behavior within the PSS2012 product.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

File dialogue box

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It's easy enough to test. Next time you see that behavior, start Windows Explorer and try the same operation there and see if it refreshes automatically. If it does, try the File Open dialog in, say, Notepad. If this only affects PowerShell Studio, please let us know exactly what operation you a did and, if, you can, take before and after screenshots.
If nothing else I can append this to the bug filed with Microsoft.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 11 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.