Re-install prompt on opening ps1 file

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
derekvhoyt

Re-install prompt on opening ps1 file

Post by derekvhoyt »

When I right click on a powershell file and select open, PowerShell Studio launches a installation window and is looking for the original install file location. Even if I provide the file, it still does this every time I try to open a powershell file.

I recently upgraded to powershell studio version 3.1.23
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Re-install prompt on opening ps1 file

Post by davidc »

It is possible something went wrong during the update. Have you tried a complete uninstall and then reinstall the application?

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
derekvhoyt

Post by derekvhoyt »

Yes, I used the remove button in the installer to do an uninstall and then re-installed the program.
davidc

Post by davidc »

What OS are you running?

David
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

The next time this occurs go to the Event Viewer and look under Application log and try to find an entry for MsiInstaller. Please post any information you find.

David
David
derekvhoyt

Post by derekvhoyt »

Windows 7

The issue happens every time I right click a powershell file and select open in windows explorer.

Detection of product '{7D2F5696-A185-4C82-B1C2-5294E8A37DBA}', feature 'ps1' failed during request for component '{860CBE98-DC94-4F64-A2B9-FD601726A64A}'

Detection of product '{7D2F5696-A185-4C82-B1C2-5294E8A37DBA}', feature 'DefaultFeature', component '{53B324E2-BB00-472F-903A-618C2FBEBFD2}' failed. The resource 'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\SAPIEN\' does not exist.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Can you temporarily remove the "PowerShell File Type Associations" Feature using the installer? This should hopefully prevent the Installer from coming up.

David
David
derekvhoyt

Post by derekvhoyt »

I removed the PowerShell File Type Associations Feature, and now when I right click and select open, powershell files open up without issue in PowerShell Studio. It appears that it's still set as the default program for .ps1 files.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have also noticed that on the right click menu for an xml file, I have an additional option for "Edit in Powershell Studio", but on powershell files that option is not present.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Something must of happened at one point where it lost track of the installation. We will double check the installer to make sure everything looks good.

As for the 'Edit with PowerShell Studio' this is displayed when the extension is perceived as text. Please go to the following registry key and make sure the value for "Perceived Type" is "Text":

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ps1\

David
David
derekvhoyt

Post by derekvhoyt »

I don't have a Perceived Type Key, just a default key with a value of Microsoft.PowerShellScript.1 I have powershell ISE installed, it probably set that value.
This topic is 10 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.