Upgrading PowerShell Studio 2015 prompts for license activation again

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 8 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
miltongoh

Upgrading PowerShell Studio 2015 prompts for license activation again

Post by miltongoh »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2015 (Service Build unknown before upgrading to v4.2.95)
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64 bits
Operating system: Windows 10
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bits

Hi there,

I was performing an upgrade of my PowerShell Studio 2015 last week via the Software Updates module built into the software. Right after the update, I am prompted to activate my license again like the software was freshly installed rather than upgraded.

Is this a known issue for a specified service release? If not, how can I assist you in re-producing it?

Cheers,
Milton
DevinL

Re: Upgrading PowerShell Studio 2015 prompts for license activation again

Post by DevinL »

I'll do my best to reproduce this and get back to you, thanks for all the information.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Hello miltongoh,

If you had a really old build installed, you might need to run PowerShell Studio with elevation when activating the software. Please try the following:

1. Right-clicking on PowerShell Studio's shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
2. Then activate the software.
3. Restart the application to ensure that it is still activated.

David
David
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce this issue when updating from 4.2.92 - 4.2.94 to 4.2.95. As David suggested, try activating with administration rights as that should alleviate any problems.
DevinL
miltongoh

Post by miltongoh »

I don't have a very old version as I only PowerShell Studio on this affected computer end of Sept. You reckon which version was made available on SAPIEN website for download?

Cheers,
Milton
juneblender

Post by juneblender »

Hi, Milton,

Did you try running PowerShell Studio elevated (Run as administrator)?

When you run elevated, SAPIEN installs the newest updating tool. This installation requires admin permissions, but you need to do this only once. After the new update tool is installed, it should run just fine with regular user rights.

Thanks,
June
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Just for the record, because everyone talks about the update tool. The update tool does not touch, update, remove, edit or otherwise affect license information. Nor do our installers. Windows Installer, which is what is used, does not know how to affect our licensing information.

Usually candidates for this are permission, different users, change of machine names (joining a domain for example) or third party software that is triggered to "clean up" in the case of an uninstall.

I do not know what it is in your case, but normally you do not have to re-enter your licensing information. If however you have to do that on your machine for whatever reason it will not have any ill-effect on your overall license.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 8 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.