Splash screen stays up for a LONG time

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
sreimert

Post by sreimert »

When I start PrimalSQL 2009 (1.0.8), the splash screen stays up for over 20 minutes (blocking everything else) before the program is displayed. The system is unusable while the splash screen is up because it's always on top and can't be dismissed.Previous connections were to systems in the local LAN over GB networks. Remote systems are online and Oracle is responsive by other tools. What is it doing while the splash screen is up before the program is displayed?Thanks,--Scott Reimert
Ferdinand Rios

Post by Ferdinand Rios »

THERE may be a hidden error message. Try starting the program with /NOSPLASH in the command line. This will keep the splash screen from coming up and display the hidden error message.
F.G. Rios
sreimert

Post by sreimert »

Thanks for the quick response.Started with /NOSPLASH (thanks!). After about a minute, a "hidden" error message shows up (that would be hidden by the splash screen) that says "An unsupported operation was attempted" with an OK button that could never be pressed because it's behind a splash screen that cannot be moved and is always on top.(876MB!!).When I "OK" the button, the program comes up, but virtual size remains at 876MB even though no connections are open.

During this time, CPU on that core goes to 100%. Virtual size is 897.544K I guess this solves the issue, since I can use PrimalSQL now, but is there a log or something where I can see what the unsupported operation was?Thanks for getting me back on the road so quickly, I really appreciate it.--Scott
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

What Operating System are you running PrimalSQL?

PrimalSQL will load the cached Database Information during the start up. Do you have many connections?

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
sreimert

Post by sreimert »

I'm running PrimalSQL 2009 (1.0.8) in Windows XP SP3.I have a total of five connections defined - all of which going to Oracle using the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle" because the "Oracle Provider for OLE DB" was always crashing the program.The memory thing is no biggie to me. What is a biggie is that the splash screen is always on top and has no handle so it can't be moved, thus making it impossible to see and handle subsequent dialogs.The /NOSPLASH handles this as a work-around, but you guys may want to address this in subsequent releases.Thanks again for your help. It's a great product over all.-Scott
This topic is 14 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.