Version 4.4.65 unable to execute queries

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DiZzyDmon
Has voted: 1 time

Version 4.4.65 unable to execute queries

Post by DiZzyDmon »

Primal SQL version: 4.4.65.0
Operating system: Windows 10 1803 64-bit

Yesterday I upgraded to both of my computers to Primal SQL release 4.4.65.0.
I am no longer able to run any of my saved queries. When I open any of my saved queries, the "Execute Query" button is greyed out.

Yesterday, sometimes, but rarely:

(1) If I waited several minutes after opening the saved query file, taking no other action, the Execute Query button turned green and I was able to run the query.

(2) If I copied the text in the saved query, right-clicked the database connection (or the actual table if it was a single table query), clicked "Query using SQL Text Only", pasted the contents of the saved query in the new Untitled pane, the Execute Query button turned green and I was able to run the query.

(3) If I right-clicked the database connection, clicked "Refresh", right-clicked the database connection again, clicked "Query using SQL Text Only", the Execute Query button turned green, I was able to enter a brand new query in the Untitled pane, then run the query.

Today I can't even get queries created from scratch to run. Nothing works at all.

While I am waiting for this to be fixed, is there a way I can download the previous version of PrimalSQL?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Version 4.4.65 unable to execute queries

Post by davidc »

In order to assist you further, please answer the following questions:

1. What type of database connection are you using?
2. Do you get any messages in the log panel when you open the application or attempt to expand a database node in the browser?
3. Do you recall what build you had installed previously?
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc

Post by davidc »

You can download an older builds from your registered products page:

https://www.sapien.com/account/products
David
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

1. What type of database connection are you using?
I have 9 different database connections, all Microsoft SQL Server. All of them exhibit the same problem.

2. Do you get any messages in the log panel when you open the application or attempt to expand a database node in the browser?
No messages or errors. With the "Execute Query" button greyed out, I am not able to take any action that would place an entry in the log panel.

3. Do you recall what build you had installed previously?

I found the "Archives" link on the Sapien website, downloaded the previous release 4.4.64, uninstalled 4.4.65, (re)installed 4.4.64, I am once again able to run all saved queries, all new queries, no problems at all.
davidc

Post by davidc »

For clarification, did this only affect the Query builder files? So, I'm not sure why it would result in disabled button unless it failed to make a database connection.

I’m going to have the team look at it and see if we can recreate the problem.
David
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

I've never used the "Visual Query Builder", I always "Query with SQL Text".
davidc

Post by davidc »

So far, we gave been unable to recreate this issue on our end.

Can you provide a sample connection string without confidential information?
And what version of SQL Server are you using?

Thank you,
David
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

"Can you provide a sample connection string without confidential information?"
Data Source=<server>\<instance>;Initial Catalog=<the database name>;Integrated Security=True;User ID=;Password=
(things inside <> are substitutes for the actual values)

"And what version of SQL Server are you using?"
Our database admins say that this SQL Server cluster is running version 2012, and the whole version number is 11.0.7462.6
mxtrinidad

Post by mxtrinidad »

In PrimalSQL. How this connection string was setup?
SQLServer,
ODBC,
OLEDB

This will help us troubleshooting the issue you're experiencing. Also, is you're using "integrated security=true;.." why are you using UserID and Password? If your Windows credential is already setup in SQL Server then there's no need to include them in the connection string.
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

In the PrimalSQL application, I click "New Database Connection".
The "Database Connection" popup defaults to "SQL Server" (which is what I want).

Here's how I fill in the five fields:
Server: our SQL Server server\instance
Authentication: Windows Authentication
Login: (leave empty)
Password: (leave empty)
Database: the database I want to connect to

Any anomalies in the connection string are due to the PrimalSQL program. I do not edit the connection strings manually.

P.S.: Is there any way to configure this forum to send me an email when my topic(s) are updated?
This topic is 5 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.