primalSQL crashes on resizing results section

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 15 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
pkmccarthy

Post by pkmccarthy »

on vista 32 enterprise edition...

1)right click - 'query database (sql only)'
2)run my sql statement
3)click and hold to make the results section taller (want to see more rows on the screen without having to scroll)
4) app crashes everytime...

also, is there no help file associated with this tool?

thanks,
Patrick

davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

I'm unable to reproduce this issue.

Can you answer few questions in order for us to isolate the issue?

What version of PrimalSQL?
Also can you clarify how and where you click and drag?
Does the crash happen for different queries? ie. Different database / tables etc.
Does it crash when you run it under the query builder?
Does it crash if you simply scroll?

Thank you,

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
pkmccarthy

Post by pkmccarthy »

1) version 1.0.1 (but isnt there only one version)
2) between the sql statement in the top of the screen and the results section at the bottom of the screen [note: i have a sql only query open]
3) have not tried for different db's and tables - this table has only a couple hundred rows -- odbc to mysql
4) would not know, i dont use those tools - i write the sql myself [graphic tool would slow me down]
5) does not crash if I scroll

davidc

Post by davidc »

The latest version of PrimalSQL is v1.0.1. The reason I asked you to check other tables and connections is because I suspect that the crash may have to do with the data in the results and the only way to determine this is by trying other queries.
If you can, please post any error messages produced when the program crashes.

Thank you,

David
David
pkmccarthy

Post by pkmccarthy »

n = number of columns in my table.....
1) select * from tbl --- FAILS
2) select col1,col2,...col n/2 from tbl --- PASS
3) select col n/2+1, col n/2+2... col n from tbl --- PASS
4) select col1, col2,....coln -- FAILS

-- example crash result....

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: PrimalSQL.exe Application Version: 1.0.1.15 Application Timestamp: 49b6d22a Fault Module Name: myodbc5.dll Fault Module Version: 5.1.5.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 48a9ae49 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00014b1b OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.4 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 5c43 Additional Information 2: 01d13b76e3104d6414ba431ffbf264c7 Additional Information 3: eda3 Additional Information 4: 402c4bfb9db4996271bd02745202c369
pkmccarthy

Post by pkmccarthy »

screen shot of data types of columns (I could not figure out how to get primalsql to generate the table definition sql for me)

uploads/29546/primalsql_2009_issue.jpg
davidc

Post by davidc »

According to the error, the crash is caused by the provider. Unfortunately I can
David
pkmccarthy

Post by pkmccarthy »

well then it would have to be a combination of the columns causing the issue given the testing sequence i outlined above...

i dont agree with the assessment that its the provider causing the issue when the data has materialized in your data-grid in the results panel... (and i think the dismissal of the issue is on par with the help file that goes with this tool)
davidc

Post by davidc »

The grid depends on the provider to load the information. According to the error results the fault is caused in the provider (myodbc5.dll) and not in the application code. I tested various other providers and queries and I have not encountered this issue, thus leading me to the same conclusion. I suggested some alternatives that you may try to resolve the problem and I hope it leads to a solution. Since the providers are third party it is impossible for us to modify and fix any issues that they may have.
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

If you like we can test the data on our servers. If you export the sample data to a CSV file and email it to support@sapien.com, we will review it further.
Thank you,

David
David
This topic is 15 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.