repository setup for multiple users best practice

Archived Product support for ChangeVue users
This topic is 12 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
bn2hunt

Post by bn2hunt »

I am in a department that has 4 people that do all of the scripting for the company. We all use primalscript and are going to start using changevue. I am trying to figure out the best way to setup the repositories for everyone to use. This is what I was thinking but it isn't working the way I thought it would. user1 - seperate repositoryuser 2 - seperate repo Production repository I would like to be able to set it up so each person had their own repository and then move projects into the production repository when the scripts are done and being used. If a change is needed on a production script the project would be moved from the production repo into the person working on it and then moved back when it is fixed/updated. I havn't found a way to move projects between repositories. Is this even possible?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

No, there is no option to move projects between repositories. I am not sure I understand the need to move it around. One point of a version control system is to manage multiple people accessing a file or group of files.

Developers work on projects. They all access a repository somewhere on a server. You can have multiple repositories if, say, you have multiple departments and each of them wants their own.

If developer A works on a file and has it checked out developer B sees that and can't check it out. If you would like to indicate that a project is in production rather than under development, simply rename the project, e.g from "Mail server scripts" to "Production - Mail server scripts"

I hope I understood what you where trying to achieve.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
bn2hunt

Post by bn2hunt »

Ok, that is what I was starting to understand and will be setting that up shortly.So one repository for the department and use a project naming convention for production and testing environment. Thanks Dan
bn2hunt

Post by bn2hunt »

I setup a repository with standard security on a network share. If I move to another computer and connect to the repository the local folder settings isn't set anymore and I can't check out a document. Any idea what I did wrong?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

You need to set the local folder on each machine.
Computer A can use C:projectsscriptsprojectsA
Computer B can use C:projectsprojectsA

It's a local setting
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 12 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.