Welcome to the ChangeVue support forum

Archived Product support for ChangeVue users
This topic is 15 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please feel free to post any questions or concerns regarding ChangeVue here. Keep in mind that you should include the following information in your post:

1. What exact version and build  number of ChangeVue you have
2. What operating system you are running.
3. What specific language this concerns, if applicable.

Thank you for your cooperation.Alexander Riedel2009-03-18 18:20:48
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mmorris@sysconnections.com

Post by mmorris@sysconnections.com »

I was surprised to find that the product used a discontinued Help file format. I was shocked to find that a shipping, fee-based product had no help whatsoever. I was appalled to find that the official answer is, essentially, "We haven't done it. We know we haven't done. We don't have a date for when we'll do it. Check back here to see when we've done it." How was having a thorough, working, modern Help system not part of the ship/don't ship decision?
Alexander Riedel

CHM files are not discontinued, but in wide use, I am not sure where you derive this information from.

As for the help content, it is a chicken - egg problem. Many features can only be documented thoroughly and correctly after they are finished and writing documentation takes time. If you count the "placeholder" on Microsoft's MSDN site you will recognize that this is a situation all companies face one way or another.

Now, if you have any specific questions that you can't figure out without a help system, you are more than welcome to post them here. Maybe your questions will help us put the emphasis on the right topics.
Alexander Riedel
mmorris@sysconnections.com

Post by mmorris@sysconnections.com »

I apologize if my initial post was a bit strident. To address your comments, my statement regarding CHM files was based on Microsoft's position, as quoted here:

"Starting with the release of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, Microsoft has decided to no longer include in WinHlp32.exe as a component of the Windows operating system. Microsoft made this decision because WinHlp32.exe has not had a major update for many years, and it does not meet our standards for all new Microsoft programs."

Not being included in Windows for two years seemed to me to equate to "discontinued."

Regarding the chicken-egg problem, I agree that final documentation must be based on a final product, but surely enough of the product was finalized sufficiently far in advance of product release to have much of the documentation done. I also do not consider Microsoft the ideal in this area. I view them as notorious in this regard, taking up to a year following product release to ship resource kits.

I appreciate your offer to answer specific questions, but mine are too numerous to post here. I simply wanted to fully experiment with all the wonderful capabilities described on the product's Features and Screenshots pages.
Alexander Riedel

WinHlp refers to HLP files, not CHM files.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 15 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.