Notify Icon Setting

Ask your PowerShell-related questions, including questions on cmdlet development!
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 2 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
AtlasNetworkServices

Notify Icon Setting

Post by AtlasNetworkServices »

I'm trying to change the name that shows for my program in the Windows 10 notification. I shows the application name with .exe at the end, I would like to know how to remove the .exe from the name. I attached a screen shot showing what is happening.

In case it isn't obvious my program is named Create VPN Accounts.exe and I would like it to show Create VPN Accounts.

Thank you!

Justin
Attachments
Notification.png
Notification.png (56.24 KiB) Viewed 6331 times
by jvierra » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:09 pm
I don't see any way that can be done as the system creates that message to notify the user of the exect process that caused the exception. It is the system and not the program that is doing that. YOu cannot override system processes and messages. Consider how that might be a security issue if it could be overridden.
Go to full post
Last edited by AtlasNetworkServices on Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Re: Notify Icon Setting

Post by jvierra »

I don't see any way that can be done as the system creates that message to notify the user of the exect process that caused the exception. It is the system and not the program that is doing that. YOu cannot override system processes and messages. Consider how that might be a security issue if it could be overridden.
AtlasNetworkServices

jvierra wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:09 pm I don't see any way that can be done as the system creates that message to notify the user of the exect process that caused the exception. It is the system and not the program that is doing that. YOu cannot override system processes and messages. Consider how that might be a security issue if it could be overridden.
I don't disagree with what you said, but other program can do it.

If you look at Outlook, WinWord, Brave, Chrome and the SpeedTest applications for example it just shows the application name without the .exe at the end in their notifications. If these apps can do it then there's got to be a way I can do it. Those process for those applications show the application name with .exe at the end in task manager, but doesn't have .exe at the end in their notification message. It just looks so unprofessional with .exe at the end in a notification.

Thank you!

Justin
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

If the application generates the notification then that is tru but if the notification is generated by the system then you can't change it. Since you are not generating the notification then you can't change it.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

Here is one way to generate and manage notifications with PowerShell: https://den.dev/blog/powershell-windows-notification/
AtlasNetworkServices

jvierra wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:20 pm If the application generates the notification then that is tru but if the notification is generated by the system then you can't change it. Since you are not generating the notification then you can't change it.
I understand and that make sense.

Thank you for linking the article,

Justin
This topic is 2 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.