New-Object for Data Collection ?

Ask your PowerShell-related questions, including questions on cmdlet development!
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
socaldavel

Post by socaldavel »

I'm trying to get my head around the concept of creating a "new-object" and am curious to see if I'm on the right track... or way off base.Similar to the other thread about "asset inventory", I have a script where I'm querying a number of remote systems for information (OS version, BuildDate, ServicePack, etc - all of which I'm querying via WMI). I'd ultimately like to take each of those variables, which I'm querying for each server in a foreach loop and export it into a csv file so that I can pull a report when done.Am I right in thinking that I should be able to create a new-object for each server with properties for each variable I'm creating which can then be displayed as a table (formet-table) or exported to a csv (preferrably appended to an existing csv so I can build upon it)?And if so, how?From what I keep finding about new-objects it seems that I can only select from existing objects (of which I can't seem to find a master list). Am I way off base here? Someone please just point me in the right direction.Thanks much!!
socaldavel2008-04-09 13:31:16
socaldavel

Post by socaldavel »

whew... glad I'm not completely mad, just still wet behind the ears.Thanks Don (I'm assuming the infamous Don Jones who's always mentioned on the Powerscripting Podcast) :)I'll get started on this snippet.... and look for the book online too!!
donj

Post by donj »

This is an example I use in our Advanced training course which does more or less what you're looking for. You can see at the end that it uses the Get-DriveInventory output - which are objects - in three different ways, which is the whole reason to spew objects rather than text. I created a second function which takes those objects and writes them to a database - that keeps each function very single-purposed, so that they can be recombined for more flexibility.

Code: Select all

[reflection.assembly]::loadwithpartialname("System.Data") | Out-Null

function Get-DriveInventory {
     PROCESS {
          #get drives from WMI
          $drives = gwmi win32_logicaldisk -comp $_ -filter "drivetype=3"

#construct output objects
          foreach ($drive in $drives) {
               $obj = New-Object psobject
               $obj | Add-Member NoteProperty ComputerName $_
               $obj | Add-Member NoteProperty DriveLetter $drive.deviceid
               $free = $drive.freespace/1MB -as [int]
               $obj | Add-Member NoteProperty AvailableSpace $free
               $total = $drive.size/1MB -as [int]
               $obj | Add-Member NoteProperty TotalSpace $total

#write output object
               Write-Output $obj               
          }
     }
}

function Write-DriveInventory {
     BEGIN {
          #open database connection
          $conn = New-Object System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
          #will need to adjust the path
          $connstr = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:DriveInventory.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;"
          $conn.connectionstring = $connstr
          $conn.open()

#create database command
          $cmd = New-Object system.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
          $cmd.connection = $conn
     }
     PROCESS {
          #construct SQL statement using input objects' properties
          $now = Get-Date -form g
          $sql = "INSERT INTO DriveInventory (ComputerName,DriveLetter,AvailableMB,TotalMB,LastUpdated) VALUES ("
          $sql += "'" + $_.ComputerName + "',"
          $sql += "'" + $_.DriveLetter + "',"
          $sql += "'" + $_.AvailableSpace + "',"
          $sql += "'" + $_.TotalSpace + "',"
          $sql += "'" + $now + "')"
          $cmd.commandtext = $sql
          $cmd.executenonquery() | Out-Null
     }
     END {
          $conn.close()
     }
}

function Get-FileName {
     $computer = Read-Host "Filename of computer names?"
     return $computer
}

# get the filename
$f = Get-FileName

# Use this command-line for task #1
Get-Content $f | Get-DriveInventory | Write-DriveInventory

# Use this command-line for task #2
Get-Content $f | Get-DriveInventory | Export-Csv C:DriveInventory.csv

# Use this command-line for task #3
Get-Content $f | Get-DriveInventory | Format-Table ComputerName,DriveLetter,AvailableSpace,TotalSpace,@{Label="PercentFree";Expression={$_.AvailableSpace/$_.TotalSpace*100}}
donj

Post by donj »

Ya, I love those guys. I'm so glad someone's doing the podcast - I just couldn't make the time to keep it regular. Hal's the new Community Director at www.PowerShellCommunity.org, too, which is great for him - I hope the podcast'll help bring more folks over there.
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.