How to change printer driver without reinstall

Ask your PowerShell-related questions, including questions on cmdlet development!
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
woowil

Post by woowil »

I'm using the command rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUI Entry /? for installation of printers in an enterprise environment. I am a pretty much advanced scripting person but there is one graphical printer change am not able to do either through WMI or through the rundll32 command.The ProblemI am converting all Lexmark printer models to Lexmark Universal model. The universal driver is installed on all printer servers. Now am writing a simple BATCH script to change the model on each queues from example: Lexmark T632 to Lexmark Universal. I can't see any way how to that besides removing the printer queue and installing it again with the new INF file for Lexmark universal. I find this a risky since there are over 2000 printers. I just want to change the model.

Is there a PowerShell script to do that?
woowil

Post by woowil »

I'm using the command rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUI Entry /? for installation of printers in an enterprise environment. I am a pretty much advanced scripting person but there is one graphical printer change am not able to do either through WMI or through the rundll32 command.The ProblemI am converting all Lexmark printer models to Lexmark Universal model. The universal driver is installed on all printer servers. Now am writing a simple BATCH script to change the model on each queues from example: Lexmark T632 to Lexmark Universal. I can't see any way how to that besides removing the printer queue and installing it again with the new INF file for Lexmark universal. I find this a risky since there are over 2000 printers. I just want to change the model.

Is there a PowerShell script to do that?
woowil

Post by woowil »

I will try to simulate the problem.1. Login on a Windows 2003/2008 server or Windows XP/Vista2. Navigate to Printer and Faxes3. Click: File - Server Properties - Drivers (tab)4. Click: Add to install two different drivers: Lexmark Optra and Lexmark Optra T610 PS5. Click: OK to close the Server Poperties6. Click: File - Add Printer and following the Wizard by default (use Lexmark Optra as driver model)7. Finnish8. Right Click the newly created printer (Lexmark Optra) - Properties - Advanced (tab)9. From the Driver select list-box: Change to Lexmark Optra /610 PS10. Click Apply (note that all the device stting are now changed)11. Kick OK What command (Batch-rundll32, WMI, PowerShell, JScript/VBScript) technology is able to do step 9-10?There must be a way how to change the printer driver smoothly and none graphical without reinstalling the printer.
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.