Create a hidden menu or a menu under the App Icon

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jpbobrek

Create a hidden menu or a menu under the App Icon

Post by jpbobrek »

We are blocking removable storage at our company. I created a utility that, upon removable media insertion, pops up a message to let users know that its blocked and how to get an exception if they have a legit business requirement.
I created an "Urgent Unblock" function that upon typing a code that can be provided by our Helpdesk, will immediately give them temporary access. I don't want to make the "Urgent Unblock" function too obvious in the GUI.
Is there a way I can add the function to a non-obvious menu? I was hoping to be able to create a menu under the app icon in the top left of the GUI. Any other ideas if this isn't possible?
Attachments
2018-08-07_8-15-43.jpg
2018-08-07_8-15-43.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Re: Create a hidden menu or a menu under the App Icon

Post by jvierra »

No. That is the system menu and is crated and controlled by the system.

You can control device attachment with Group Policy. No need for a script.
jpbobrek

Post by jpbobrek »

We actually do control via Group Policy. However, sometimes our users are offline (not domain connected). This is the reason for the Urgent Need Unblock function. Any other way to make the function a bit obscured? I'd rather not make it a button. I was thinking I could make clicking the graphic image launch this function, but that is a bit too obscure. I want to obscure the function, but not make it appear as we're purposely hiding it. :D
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

What function are you trying to obscure. Why not just use a message box with the message and an "Ok" button. There is no need for a form.

A simple message box can be dismissed with an "escape" or the "enter" key so clicking the button is only necessary if you have your hand on the mouse. I tend to use the escape key for this kind of message.
This topic is 5 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.