Formatting cells of a DataGridView best place for the code?

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
FrankAndrew

Formatting cells of a DataGridView best place for the code?

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Everyone,

Now that I have really dived into the Windows Forms usage through PowerShell Studio I have a question in regards to the best code loaction placement for formatting the cell contents in a DataGridView based on the cells value.

The place where I current have the formatting and the setting of the cell colors is in the GREAT SAPIEN function: Update-DataGridView
But I also need and want to have the column sorting functionality of the DataTable so I am also using that other GREAT SAPEIN function: ConvertTo-DataTable

When I first load my DataGridView by converting it to a DataTable using ConvertTo-DataTable and then updating the DataGridView using Update-DataGridView the coloring logic that I added to the bottom of the later function works just fine until I click on one of the column headers to re-sort the columns to the new desired order.

I have tried to look at the hundereds of Events and Methods and such that the DataGridView offers for handling these object and I don't have all the time needed to test through each and every one of these until I find the right one.

So can someone help me to find the Right Event or method that I should use when I want the cell Contents to be conditionally formatted based on the cells value?

I don't want to post the actual code here due to sensitive Information in it. I don't actually use the column numbers for the coloring as listed below but the column header text so that the column number does NOT matter.

Examples:
For columns 6, 7, 8 and 9 the default colors are Background 'White', Foreground 'Black'.

These four columns have an integer value that I would also like to have formatted for the display purposes like a string "{0:N0}" but for the sorting it should use the integer value because string sorting of such value is not nice at all as you know.
I have set the cell Alignment to: 'MiddleRight'

If column 6 has a value of 0 then the foreground Color should be 'Green' with the default Background Color, if it is greater than zero then the normal default Colors.

If column 7 is greater than 0 then the Background Color should be 'Green' and the Foreground Color 'White',

If column 8 if the value is greater than 0 then the Background Color should be 'Yellow' foreground 'Black',

If column 9 if the value is greater than o then the Background Color should be 'Red' and the foreground Color 'White'.

Thanks in Advance...
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Re: Formatting cells of a DataGridView best place for the code?

Post by jvierra »

Use the cells "formatting" event to change cells color.

Code: Select all

$datagridview1_CellFormatting=[System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventHandler]{
#Event Argument: $_ = [System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs]
    if($_.Value -eq 0){
	    $_.CellStyle.BackColor = 'Red'
        $_.CellStyle.ForeColor = 'White'
    }else{
        $_.CellStyle.BackColor = 'Blue'
        $_.CellStyle.ForeColor = 'Pink'
    }
}
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi jvierra,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do I see that correctly that this is a new defined function that could be called from anywhere?
If this is a free standing function how do I associate it to a specific cell or column of cells?
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi jvierra,

Sorry to bother you again with a beginners question in the MSDN help for the DataGridView_CellFormatting function it shows:

void dataGridView1_CellFormatting( Object^ /*sender*/, DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs^ e )
How do I get that information for the DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs Parameter inside the function like you wrote it so that I can check which column I need to handle, being as I have differnet colors for differnet columns and there is only one CellFormatting event for the entire DataGridView or maybe not just one??

Do I just have to define a PARAM() section at the top of it for those two Parameters or are they just there and available through the $this variable?
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

I think I now understand why you added this line:

#Event Argument: $_ = [System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs]
That is the e-> from the MSDN help.

Thanks for your help
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

What I posted is not a function. It is the script block that Sapien adds to the controls event when the scrip is built.

The comment in the script block explains what is available. PLease read the two links I posted very carefully until you understand what is being discussed and why. Until you understand how Forms work with PowerShell you will have a very hard time knowing how to use MSDN docs and how to design forms.

Consider the following:

sender = $this
EventArgs = $_

When an event is tied to a form in PSS then intellisense and autocomplete work as expected.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

FrankAndrew wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 am I think I now understand why you added this line:

That is the e-> from the MSDN help.

Thanks for your help
I didn't add that. I just created the event in PSS and added the color assignments. Everything else is done by the PSS IDE.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

Please read the following short document:
Attachments
Windows Forms Events.pdf
(115.66 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
DrewEaston

Post by DrewEaston »

Hi jvierra,

SUPER thanks for the help and tips. This will make me a MORE effective programmer with Windows Forms.

Using your examples I was able to get the formatting working as I need it.

In case others are looking for an example as I was, here is what I build based on your example and the MSDN help:

$datagridview1_CellFormatting=[System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventHandler]{
   If ($this.Columns[$_.ColumnIndex].Name.ToUpper().Equals("ARTIST")) {
      If ($_.Value -eq 0){
         $_.CellStyle.BackColor = 'Red'
         $_.CellStyle.ForeColor = 'White'
      } Else {
         $_.CellStyle.BackColor = 'Blue'
         $_.CellStyle.ForeColor = 'Pink'
      }
   }
}
That is my give back for this problem that I was having.

I hope this shows others how to do column specific color formatting.

GREAT Help thanks again!
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.