How to get RSAT and Active Directory PowerShell module.

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
fransbms

Post by fransbms »

I just installed PowerShell Studio 2014 trial in free standing PC using Win 8.1 Pro together with TFM by Jason Helmick and Mike F Robbins Windows PowerShell tm book from Sapien Press.

And want to try making WinForms using PowerShell Studio 2014 following TFM manual chapter 21, on its page 370, it written that I need to have Remote Server Administration Tools(RSAT) specifically the Active Directory PowerShell module for the scenario.

Since my PC run as freestanding PC, and I have checked list of cmdlets there were no RSAT and AD PowerShell module available.

My question to you all who more experience with PowerShell Studio 2014;
Will this example scenario can be run in a Free standing PC, without connecting to Window Server?
If this possible, how to setup the requirement(s) in detail please?

Thank you for reading my message, and I am looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,
fransbms.

SAPIEN Support Forums

Post by SAPIEN Support Forums »

This is an automated post. A real person will respond soon.

Thank you for posting, fransbms.

Here are some hints to help you get an accurate and complete answer to your question.

Ask in the best forum: If you asked in the wrong forum, just copy your question to the right forum.

Anticipate follow-up questions!

Did you remember to include the following?
  • 1. Product, version and build
    2. 32 or 64 bit product
    3. Operating system, e.g. Windows 7 64 bit.
    4. Attach a screenshot, if applicable
    5. Attach logs, crash reports, etc., in a ZIP file
If not, please take a moment to edit your original post or reply to this one.

*** Make sure you do not post any licensing information ***

jvierra
Answers: 1
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: How to get RSAT and Active Directory PowerShell module.

Post by jvierra »

RSAT requires Windows Server to use. RSAT doe not apply to non-domain environments.

cothomas

Post by cothomas »

You still install RSAT on any machine but you are correct that most of the modules connect to servers (like active directory users and computers, DNS, DHCP, etc).

If you want to play around with AD cmdlets, you should first download and install a 120 day trial of server 2012 and setup a small domain controller. Then join your computer to that domain. You will need another PC to run the server OS. It can be a virtual machine, but it has to be separate.

Good luck and have fun with the AD cmdlets.

jvierra
Answers: 1
Been upvoted: 1 time

Post by jvierra »

Sorry but the answer is the same as it was in the other forums. YOU cannot use the modules in a freestanding PC.

You can export the modules from an exiting AD installation and use them to create forms or script however, without an AD instance, you cannot test the scripts.

I recommend installing a VM of WS2012R2 and make it a DC. This will allow you to test and learn.

If you just what PrimalSense to work you can use the RSAT install.

With RSAT you need to install the PowerShell support from the installation of system components. Just installing the RSAT support does not finish the install.

This should help you install the RSAT module's PowerShell support:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscripting ... tools.aspx