Spearphishing or legitimate email?

Use this forum to ask about non-product related topics (login issues, product registrations, web site questions, etc.) No technical support questions, please.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 10 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
StupidSexyFlanders

Spearphishing or legitimate email?

Post by StupidSexyFlanders »

I just got and email that was obstinsivley from Sapien, but from the domain list-manage.com and mcdlv.net. It indicated that my email address had been "flagged by Vertical Response as invalid" (whatever that means).

Please advise as to the legitimacy of this email. I am pretty sure it's bogus, but the formatting and layout is very similar to the Sapien emails I get from time to time. The full text of the email is below. Some parts are redacted as a precaution.
June Reif, SAPIEN Technologies <accountsupport=sapien.com@mail184.[redacted].mcdlv.net>; on behalf of; June Reif, SAPIEN Technologies <[redacted]@sapien.com>

Hello,

We noted that the email address associated with your SAPIEN account has been flagged by Vertical Response as invalid - meaning emails to this account from Vertical Response bounce. We have recently instituted a policy of deactivating accounts with invalid emails, however I note that you have one or more registered products. Please let me know if your email address is valid and you receive this email.

Thank you!

- June Reif
Account Support

==============================================
You are receiving this email because you purchased and registered a SAPIEN product and the email address on your registration has been reported as invalid.

Unsubscribe [redacted] from this list:
http://sapien.[redacted].list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=3751ae330449a0d8dea0c1b17&id=bb6e26fd53&e=f9b60dc67f&c=8bd6d97810

Our mailing address is:
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
831 Latour Court, Suite B2
Napa, CA 94558
USA

Our telephone:
707-252-[redacted]
Mike
J A Reif
Answers: 1
Has voted: 1 time
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Spearphishing or legitimate email?

Post by J A Reif »

Hello!

Yes - the email is legitimate. We use list services to send any email notices that go to more than 250 people. Vertical Response in one of those list services. We are moving our lists from them to another provider. In the process, we are also attempting to weed out accounts on our system that are no longer valid. Obviously, we do not want to deactivate any accounts that ARE valid. Thanks for your response!
June Alane Reif
StupidSexyFlanders

I was alerted that another user replied that they were also concerned it was a phishing attempt. It seems their post has now been removed (by whom I don't know). It raised a good question so I'll repost it:
I received the same mail too and it has every sign of a phising (sic) mail to me.
Why send from @mail184.wdc02.mcdlv.net and not sapien.com?

I trust sapien.com and not mcdlv.net, so i am not happy with this.
You can see my account activity on the site right?
Keep in mind that, despite what the original indicated, legitimate email messages (i.e. not unsolicited spam) sent to my address do not "bounce". I've never expected an email from sapien.com that did not arrive.
Mike
J A Reif

Post by J A Reif »

sapien.com is hosted by Rackspace. Rackspace limits emails 'of a similar nature' to 250 total. So, when we need to send emails to more than 250 people (for example, when we announce a new release), we have to use an email service like Vertical Response, Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc. The email addresses in question were bounced back to Vertical Response. In an attempt to not accidentally remove any customers from our account system, we decided to contact those customers who had registered products and had been reported to us by Vertical Response as having bounced. To their credit, about 1% of the reported bounced emails are not really invalid emails. The other 99% are. This is hopefully a one time process and will not be an issue again. Thank you for your patience.
June Alane Reif
StupidSexyFlanders

Ok thanks for that explanation. Can you tell me who your new provider will be so I can whitelist it in my spam filter?
Mike
J A Reif

Post by J A Reif »

I will post the new provider here when we make our final choice. Thank you!
June Alane Reif
J A Reif

Post by J A Reif »

We have made our decision on an email service. We will be using MailChimp for any future emails that are being sent to more than 250 recipients. They have provided me with the following list of mailing IP addresses:

72.26.195.64/27
74.63.47.96/27
173.231.138.192/27
173.231.139.0/24
173.231.176.0/21
173.231.184.0/21
205.201.128.0/20
198.2.128.0/18

Incidentally, one of the many reasons why we decided to switch was so that we could give our customers a choice when it comes to receiving emails from us. Take a moment to check out the Mailing List choice now found at the bottom of your account information page (http://www.sapien.com/account/info).
June Alane Reif
This topic is 10 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.