Can't use language based help

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 12 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
akurpanek

Post by akurpanek »

Hello, we are evaluating PrimalScript and have installed Primalscript only without Document Explorer and PrimalMerge. Now we have configured under Options - Environment - Help for some script languages like php, vbscript, powershell contect help files (.chm-files). when we create a script over File - New - File we can not use help (shortcut F1) in any script files. For php, autoscript we can use the help, but for vbscript, powershell, WSH we don't got any help for commands. It works only with SAPIEN Document explorer. Is there any patch or workaround to use PrimalScript without Dokument Explorer and use CHM-Files only? Test Environment: - Lenovo Thinkpad, Core i5, 8GB Ram- Windows 7 64 Bit Professional
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Any particular reason why you don't like the Document Explorer?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
akurpanek

Post by akurpanek »

I have not say that I don't like the Document Explorer. But I don't like differently help systems. I want one way to got help for the scripting languages not different ways like Document Explorer, CHM Help File, Interated hTML Help.. Is there an easy way to got help in one system?Can I integrate other scripting languages in document explorer?Or can I use html integrated help for all my needed languages like vbscript, jscript, powershell, php, autoit and c#?
Alexander Riedel

I guess we could add an option to ignore the document explorer for VBScript and PowerShell, but please be advised that you will just loose information. There is no one system that fits all when it come to help, which is why PrimalScript has so many options.

Lets look at PowerShell for example. Yes you can get a CHM from Microsoft that contains the core cmdlets. Put what about help for all the snapins and modules? What about Exchange Server, Quest's Active Directory snapin, or VMWare's PowerCLI? There is no chm for that and even if there where, how would you combine it with the other ones? That's why the Document Explorer exists.

For VBScript, we created a much better help system with real samples for admins based Jeffrey Hicks' "WSH and VBScript Core". It beats Microsoft's CHM for VBScript hand down and you get it for free, why would you not want to make use of that help?

On the other hand, if a language, say Perl, only has one CHM file, why host that in Document Explorer? It's a self contained help.

Each language uses different formats and styles. We try to support them the best we can, but there is no single unified way to do that.
Alexander Riedel
cking2

Post by cking2 »

I love the Document Explorer when it works. I just updated to latest service release and it is still flighty. My quick test. In vbscript I click on GetObject and hit F1. Great, help!In PS script I click on New-Object and nothing. I search Document explorer and there is an entry for new-object. So sad.I can go on but for the most part, PS is help free. I verified I have option set to use Document Explorer. Thoughts? I know this is an old thread.
cking2

Post by cking2 »

Now I just clicked on Write-Host and hit F1 in PS script and it works. I tried New-Object ant that now works too.Maybe it took some warming up but this is what I mean by flighty. It seems inconsistent. But, I still love PrimalScript.
Alexander Riedel

As a registered customer please post in the appropriate software forum and not in the pre-sales forum.
See if you can replicate this and we can investigate what the problem might be.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 12 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.