Coloring Back Quote (tick)

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 16 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
scoph2

Post by scoph2 »

This is something I regard as essential, especially for those like myself who have poor vision and need to quickly and easily distinguish a back quote from a single quote. My preference would be to have both the back quote and the character immediately following that in a different color, preferably user settable. For example, if my normal was on a white background, I want the back quote and the character following it to both be on a black background. Is there any chance of this?
Ferdinand Rios

Post by Ferdinand Rios »

We will definately take a look at the feasability of this. Of course, if we were to implement it, it would be in a very generic form such as

Define a character to begin inverted text
Number of characters to invert

Let's see what the dev team thinks of this and what kind of time frame there is in the current schedule.

Thank you for your input.
F.G. Rios
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Things like this are usually language dependent. To what language does this apply and what purpose does this have in that language?

Would any other enhanced visual distinction between single apostrophy and a backtic help?

Alex
Alexander Riedel2007-06-12 09:40:52
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
scoph2

Post by scoph2 »

My apologies. This is for Powershell which uses the back quote (back tick) as the "escape" character--`t is a tab, for instance. `$ does something special to variable expansion (sorry, I forget what and don't have the book with me. Aside from that, the back quote is used in Powershell much like a is in Perl.
Which is why I would want the the back quote and the single character following it be colored differently (except for `` where only the two back quotes should be colored, not the character after the second back quote).
I hope that helps
scoph2

Post by scoph2 »

I responded before I saw your edit, Alex.
A font like Lucida helps a ton in distinguishing back and regular quotes, but the coloring would help more. And since the back quote is syntactically very different from a single or double quote, the different coloring would cerainly be consistent.

I don't have my trial of Primal Edit here, but if single and double quoted strings are colored the same, that too should be changed to allow different coloring since they are treated differently in Powershell. Namely, variables inside single quotes are not expanded while variables are expanded inside double quotes. Ahh! I remember now `$variable forces expansion of a variable inside a single quoted string. In that case, seeing all of `$variable in the back qoute color would be slightly better than just having `$ in the different color, although the latter would certainly be good enough.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Ok, I understand. I will add an item to our list to include a new category in the colors
section for "Escaped characters", applying to all languages with such a mechanism.

I cannot promise as to when it will appear, but rest assured it will at some point.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
scoph2

Post by scoph2 »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.
scoph2

Post by scoph2 »

Interesting note:
Since Powershell gets its regular expressions from .NET, within a regular expression "" is the escape character, while "`" is the escape character outside of regexes.

So Powershell really has 2 escape characters, one for inside regular expressions and a different one everywhere else.
This topic is 16 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.