Feature Request: Data binding support

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Feature Request: Data binding support

Post by jvierra »

Please consider adding support for the standard data binding controls.

We would need BindingNavigator, BindingSource at a minimum. Enough to populate the "DataSource" and "DataBindings" property selectors of the Properties Designers.

This would add very powerful functionality to PowerShell Studio.

I have test these controls to a good degree with hand coded forms and, so far, they appear to work correctly.

The table adapters could be added but the code would likely have to be done by hand or as part of a Control Set.

Once we can properly add the controls to the form they can be easily selected in the designers to attach controls to the tables. I am sure you have worked with data bound forms in C# so the usefulness of this should be quite obvious.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171919.aspx
IC125658_jpg.gif
IC125658_jpg.gif (24.24 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
DevinL

Re: Feature Request: Data binding support

Post by DevinL »

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll be sure to pass this along to the team and see what we can do.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

I suspect you have used forms databinding before. Here is how it looks with PowerShell and PowerShell Studio.

Here is a quick demo of how data binding can be helpful to forms users. Most of the code you see will not exist when the property designers are available. This platform is very extensible and can bid objects of almost any kind.
Attachments
DEmo-DataBinding.psf
(25.34 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

I forgot to add this link to the C# template code that I copied as much as I could. I do this because the MS examples tend to be well known and other can use them in VS to prove the method.

Here is the one I used: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... .110).aspx
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Not a problem, I've made sure to pass this along to David and the team so here's to hoping we can get this implemented as I'm sure it would be a useful feature.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

Not asking for a hurry. It may not be a real easy and quick implementation. I don't know. I have thought of exploring VS SDK to test how this might be done with a PowerShell host since all of Forms assumes "code behind" I was vary surprised at how PowerShell "late binds" to forms.

It would be nice. Might be a good sales tool ... assuming it works well.

David, Alex and others may already have some ideas about this.

Anyway Devin. Thank you for taking an interest.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.