[Primal XML] Closer XSD integration

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[Primal XML] Closer XSD integration

Post by Bosparan »

Hi,

recently, I've been exploring some of "The Others". You know, those applications that somehow, magically see less use on my computer than PowerShell Studio. Specifically, I've been looking at Primal XML this time around. It's a decent XML Editor, but I noticed, I rarely use it.
Why?
Well, most of the times, it's a matter of convenience: For a quick peek at production XML (config files, mostly), I open the file on the customer's server directly, which calls for something a little more portable (Notepad++, notably, due to its combination of portability and wide choice of document editing options). For heavy duty XML work on my computer, it's mostly PowerShell directly (either by processing the data directly, or by generating it automatically). A friend of mine does a lot more locally with XML and had a look at your product, but wasn't convinced - he's got a far more powerful tool from a company that specializes on just that. Pretty much the same way you appear to have focused on PowerShell Studio.

So if it's not suitable for casual use, and not powerful enough for power-use, then where is it positioned? Will it just wither and die? A free gimmick when you acquire the suite?

I think there might be a new identity awaiting in its future, if you focus it on supporting PowerShell with it. Similar to PowerShell Help Writer it could be a useful companion to PSS, supporting a side aspect of PowerShell development.
Specifically:
- Formating XML-Files (.Format.ps1xml)
- Type Extension XML-Files (.types.ps1xml)
- Wmi Module Wrapper (.cdxml; For example as used in the DFS Modules)

Currently, you support validating an XML file using an XSD file. How about storing the XSD for these three types with the application, then automatically detect, whether the opened files is one of the three and provide Primal Sense and error detection for it?
Throw in a few templates as examples (e.g.: A quick sample for formatting as table, another for formatting as list), maybe even a few tutorials and extend your integration into PowerShell Studio, by allowing users to create those file types when working on a project from within PSS.

Special support for those powershell related xml, plus enhanced integration into the PSS workflow would certainly increase my use of the application.

Cheers,
Bosparan

PS: Being able to add a custom XSD and provide Primal Sense plus error detection for the document would probably also quite enhance the application
DevinL

Re: [Primal XML] Closer XSD integration

Post by DevinL »

I agree there's much more we could do with PrimalXML and hopefully we'll be able to make all of these a reality as they're great suggestions.

I've passed this along to the team and will post here when we have some more information to share.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.