PowerShell Studio: Search: please pre-populate with the word under cursor

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Jehoschua

PowerShell Studio: Search: please pre-populate with the word under cursor

Post by Jehoschua »

Good evening

This one is probably a standard in every other editor, too:

It would be very helpful if we could enable that search uses the word below the cursor and pre-populates the "find what" string.

The logic is simple:
- Find Next / Previous act as today
- If the cursor is above a word, then the search dialog pre-populates this word in the "find what" string
- If the cursor is in between white spaces, then the search dialog act as today

Thanks a lot,
kind regards,
Thomas
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PowerShell Studio: Search: please pre-populate with the word under cursor

Post by Alexander Riedel »

If you select the word it will use it as a find expression.
I was trying to think how often I search for the word I currently happen to have the caret on and
I personally think that I most often search for something unrelated to the current word.

So, I let everyone else weigh in here. Please post folks, what is your preference?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
pdearmen

Post by pdearmen »

I agree with Jehoschua - usually when im invoking find I am looking for that particular word. If its a function or variable that's easy enough since I can right click on it and look for all the declarations of that variable/function but if I need to find something that is NOT one of those items - it would be useful. Life doesn't end if this feature doesn't get added - its a nice to have though for sure.
AkrosIT

Post by AkrosIT »

Good morning

I know there are two opinions: some likes it - other don't.

So please allow us to enable / disable it. At least with a hidden setting in a Config file.
I know no Editor / IDE which does not support this function.

In only about 5% I have to change the search-text to something other than the word under the cursor. Therefore it's very useful.

Kind regards, Thomas
Alexander Riedel

Two swallows do not make a summer. Let's get some more opinions here. And please, no made up percentages. I very much doubt you did a comprehensive tally on how often you use the current word under the cursor or not while you were sleeping. :D
We read your post, so please let others post.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

FYI, you don't need to even bring up a find box. Just hit Ctrl+F3 and it searches for the current word.
Alexander Riedel
Bosparan

Post by Bosparan »

Can't say I care either way or can follow the issue:
- If I've already selected a section of code, "CTRL" + "C" is easy enough to run.
- If, when the search window pops up, the currently marked text is also already marked - as it is - I can type in a new text as if it were empty, when I try looking for something else.
- When I want to look for the next instance of the current selection, I can easily mark it and press "CTRL"+"F3"
The current state is perfect, as far as I am concerned.

If that wasn't actually the functionality you were complaining about, Thomas, then I don't really understand how you use it.
Maybe do a short screen recording to emphasize it, because I really think the two of us use PowerShell Studio very differently from each other.
This topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.