PowerShell 6 packager

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 4 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
pdearmen

PowerShell 6 packager

Post by pdearmen »

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

I assume that PowerShell 6.x packaging is something that is coming eventually - I understand that it's a full change so I wanted to throw this out there with that feature hopefully being developed - and if not - then yes a powershell 6.0 packager first!

Anyways - Ironmansoftware has a neat feature where it is able to package the entire .net core runtime with pwsh 6.x into the exe so the code does not need to be installed on the target device. Everything is contained in the exe (granted the exe is large) and can be run on a server without the necessary items installed already. The link to the software is below if your interested in checking it out - obviously it can't be a direct copy of how he does things (unless its open sourced) due to how things are but if that can be used in any way to influence how the packaging in future versions of studio are done for PowerShell 6.x and 7.x that would be great.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: PowerShell 6 packager

Post by davidc »

Yes, a PowerShell 6.0 packager is on our TODO list. And there is no magic to this. .NET Core is made to be self-contained and portable (including PowerShell V6). All you need to do is copy the assemblies into the same folder. Merging is also a possibility with .NET. As for the normal version of .NET and (PowerShell V5 and below) this is not possible.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 4 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.