Idea: Active Edit Section

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

This just came to me. I haven't fleshed out the implementation yet, but I'll try and explain it.I would like to be able to select a section of code, have it it marked on the far left where the bookmarks go. The light blue would change to another (possibly selectable) color to indicate that the section was part of the "PrimalActiveEdit" :) section.Here's the twist. This section would be editable/searchable, but the code outside of it would not be (until de-selected).Why?There are times when I need to refactor a section of code and I need to search/find/replace within that section only. Also, I may want to use the Cntrl-F2 or Cntrl-F3 only within that section.Yes, I know there is an option in the Find/Replace to limit the scope to the active select. However, once you start editing again, the selected code in deselected.Does that make sense?
donj

Post by donj »

I think so. You want to be able to define an "editable area" and have the remainder of the document be "locked" until you explicitly "unlock" it. We'll add it to the list for consideration!
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

don:That's it. If you see value in it great, if not I understand it. This is something that would be used for refactoring more than anything else.
Russ Pitcher

Post by Russ Pitcher »

That would probably be a good thing for me as well. Working on some large (4000 lines +) scripts really slows PrimalSense down.

If this could make editing more responsive for the selected region then I'd definitely look forward to it!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Russ, could you send me one of those files to support@sapien.com and point out where it is slow?

I'd like to run it through the profiler and see what we can do about speed.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Russ Pitcher

Post by Russ Pitcher »

Alex,

Script sent as requested. Thanks for your attention on this.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Russ:The slowness of PS is a separate issue from the "Active Edit Section" suggestion. If that issue was "fixed", do you believe the "Active Edit Section" would be useful? If so, how?Sometimes I need to convince myself that my own ideas are worthwhile. I welcome your input.
Russ Pitcher

Post by Russ Pitcher »

DJ (?)

I still think that it would be useful to have, it would be handy for those sessions where you want to go back and tidy up a script sub by sub, but I'm not sure that I'd use it that much.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Yes, dj lurch. Guess which market I serve and guess how tall I am :)Thanks for the feedback.
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.