Option for the Home key

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 11 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
cirieno

Option for the Home key

Post by cirieno »

I'm going to bump this thread as it's been over a year and we haven't seen any movement on this request.

I would like to request a simple check-boxed option in the Text Editor options panel that allows a user to define how the Home key works -- ie whether a single press of the Home key takes you to Column 1 or to the first text character.

A regular example of this feature exhibiting the signs of really being a bug is this: create a new line of code that has only tabs. Place the cursor in the middle of this line of tabs and press Home. The caret actually jumps to the end of the line, which is very counter-intuitive.

I'm re-raising this issue as, even after three years of using PS faithfully, I still find cut/copy/pasting lines that have whitespace formatting becomes a frustratingly complex task.

I tried using AutoHotKey to get around this problem by having it simulate two Home key presses for my one, which works fine on any line that has text characters but fails on a line that has only whitespace chars, as the 2nd (simulated) press jumps the caret to the end of the line (as described above). I haven't yet figured a way for AHK to work out if I'm in column 0 of the editor area, so if someone has a steer to that I'd be interested to hear it.

Many thanks for your time. Remember that in all other ways I love PS -- getting stuff done in a clean and fast environment, thanks to you guys.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Option for the Home key

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I understand that you want this. However, most editors I tried have exactly the same behavior as PrimalScript, that's why it is the way it is.

Now, we can't just add an option for everything, because that gets too confusing and we are running out of dialog box real-estate for options.

Nonetheless I am not opposed to adding this, but I'd like to hear how everybody else feels. Chime in, let us know.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
abqbill

Option for the Home key

Post by abqbill »

Hi Alex, I still want it. Pressing the Home key twice when I want to go to the beginning of the line is a nuisance, and, as cirieno pointed out, you can't automate it very well with a tool like AutoHotkey because AutoHotkey has no way of detecting that you might already be in the first column. All you need to expose in the configuration is a check box in Tools->Options->Text Editor->General (this is how UltraEdit handles it).Thanks,Bill
abqbill

Option for the Home key

Post by abqbill »

Hi Alex,

Is this feature request still on your potential to-do list? I would still like to be able to configure the Home key to always jump to column 1 instead of the first non-whitespace character on the line.

Also, I have noticed that when the current line contains only whitespace characters and the current cursor position is before the last whitespace character on that line, the Home key jumps to the end of the line. The current behavior is rather counterintuitive to me.

Thanks,

Bill
abqbill

Re: Option for the Home key

Post by abqbill »

Hi,

Is this feature request still being considered?

Thanks!

Bill
abqbill

Post by abqbill »

Hi,

Is this feature request still being considered?

Thanks!

Bill
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It's on the list, but please realize that you are truly the only person who has ever asked for this.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
abqbill

Post by abqbill »

Alexander Riedel wrote:It's on the list, but please realize that you are truly the only person who has ever asked for this.
(?) Take a look at the previous posts in this thread -- of course I'm not the only person who has ever asked for it.

Bill
This topic is 11 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.