virtual packager

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
huntsecker

virtual packager

Post by huntsecker »

Would it be possible to have a packager that runs the script in a virtual environment, I guess abit like it running in its own session. reason being is I have scripts that rely on focus (ie automation) and if they could be run in a sort of virtual environment would help loads, as currently have a few old machines running one or two scheduled scripts on them.even if this was a pay for extra I would be willing to look at this.Cheers
huntsecker

virtual packager

Post by huntsecker »

any chance this is possible or is it a bit like asking for pink elephants ?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

virtual packager

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I must admit that I don't quite understand what it is that you ask for.
Can you elaborate?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
huntsecker

virtual packager

Post by huntsecker »

The problem I have is a few of my scripts require that they retain focus during run-time (IE automation), I currently have a machine that runs alot of scripts on which was meaning the above script lost focus and then failed, so I had to move the script to its own machine if that makes sense.Was kinda hoping it would be possible to package a script so that when it was executed the script would still work as before being able to send tabs etc to internet explorer but without it losing focus. was guessing this could be done by making the script run in a separate session or something similar.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

virtual packager

Post by Alexander Riedel »

From what I read you rely on sending keys to a process. If that process does not have the input focus your script fails. I am assuming that your script has to fill out a web form or something like this.
While I understand what you ask for, it is a bit complicated, basically like asking us to run a script in a virtual machine with it's own desktop.
Pink elephant level as you put it ;-)

Maybe re-evaluating your scripts would be a better course of action.
If filling out forms is what you need, the DOM (Document Object Model) is a better way than sending keystrokes.
If you simply need to submit form requests to a website, a custom COM object sending http requests may be the answer.

If you describe the task in more detail, I am sure someone over at scriptinganswers.com can come up with a better solution.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 15 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.