Remove duplicate lines in a data file

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 15 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
phil.braniff

Post by phil.braniff »

The ability to easily remove duplicate lines is a function that required a macro command on Kedit & Xedit. Basically you start at the bottom of the file and compare the line with the one above it, if it is equal you remove the current line and perform the check again until you reach the top line of the file. It is not rocket science but it sure is time consuming if you don't have this functionality. I realize that you could easily write a script to do this but there are so many times that I am doing a onetime data gather and need the ability to easily remove the duplicates. I still use Kedit today just for those times that I need to do this.

This is not a 'programming language' issue it is a data gathering and editing issue, it is safe to say that this function could have a devastating effect on an unstructured script file (say if it removed duplicate lines of 'end if'). But when you have a file of xx,000 email addresses that you have just sorted and need to eliminate the duplicates it is sure nice to have.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Ok, we have a list of wished for editing functions. I'll add it to that and see what can be done.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 15 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.