Show close button on each tab

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 10 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Jay Adams

Show close button on each tab

Post by Jay Adams »

A user should be able to directly close a tab by clicking on the "x" for it. It would save many clicks per day if we didn't have to select a tab in order to access the option to close it.

This is a feature that I've wanted for years and just never got around to requesting. :roll:
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Show close button on each tab

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Yeah, but it takes up precious horizontal space to put that on each and every tab, so it was decided not to do that.

Describe how you are closing non-active windows and why, maybe there is another way.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Jay Adams

Post by Jay Adams »

I may have 5-10 scripts open and going from one project to another at any given time, sometimes a lot more. If I'm lucky enough to focus on only one for a while, I can right-click and "Close All". Great. But if I need to open some, work on others and close previous ones throughout the day, I have to click on each inactive tab and then click on the "x" once it appears. Or I can right-click on the tab and click "Close". Either way it's 2 clicks. If the "x" was persisted, I could close it in one step.

Let's say I have 3 files open from different folders, but all with the same name. I would have to click each one and look for the full file path before I would be sure which one to close. It would be nice if I could just hover over the tab, have the full path show up as a tooltip then click already existing "x" to close it. Still just one click. (I know this is another feature request. :geek: )

With widescreen monitors probably being the norm these days and multiple monitors even more the norm with the average scripter, I think screen real estate is much less an issue than it was several years ago. I am all for efficiency though - don't get me wrong.

The close button takes about 15 pixels (with 1px for white space), at least with the default theme that I'm running in PS 2014. Small price to pay to save several clicks a day.

I wonder what a user poll would say given the benefits I've outlined above?
Alexander Riedel

We had a button on each tab in some previous version. Everyone was yelling at us. So there's your poll :-)

I'll see if I can can come up with some other way of addressing what you are describing.

BUT: you can use actual projects. Or use multiple instances and file groups. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
Alexander Riedel
Jay Adams

Post by Jay Adams »

I completely understand. What if you added these two checkboxes in the Text Editor options?

[x] Show close button on inactive tabs
[x] Show full file path on tab hover

Leave them unchecked by default. That would give users the option to delay carpal tunnel or not, all while mitigating the yell factor.
Alexander Riedel

3-17-2014 4-51-01 PM.png
3-17-2014 4-51-01 PM.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
That one is already done. The current UI lib has no mechanism for a close box on each tab, so you are out of luck on that one. Sorry.
Alexander Riedel
Jay Adams

Post by Jay Adams »

That's strange. I tried on both the 64-bit and my current 32-bit install (7.0.18) and I don't get the tooltip.

As for the UI lib limitation... interesting, but OK.
Alexander Riedel

Of course you don't get it (yet). I just added it :-)
Alexander Riedel
Jay Adams

Post by Jay Adams »

Ah. I read that like you were saying it was already in the product. My bad. :oops:
This topic is 10 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.