Exit Code for Script Packager EXE

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 15 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
dominik.ecke

Post by dominik.ecke »

Hi everybody,
I just read in knowledge base about the problem that the Script Packager EXE files do not return / pass through any exit codes.

I understood this is difficult, because the EXE can have several files packed into it, so it cannot know which exit code it should pass through.

But what about this idea:
create a (temporary) environment variable (deleting it as last action) or something like that, and read its content to get the exit code. So scripters could put one single exit code into this variable (e.g. by filling it using an additional script or adding code to the existing script), and the EXE is exiting returning this code.

This does not help with the problem above, but at least there is any way of getting an exit code back. And the scripter can choose which exit code is given back, so you do not have to deal with it.

We would really appreciate it, as exit codes are very important.

regards,
Dominik
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I think this has been resolved a while ago. If you call WScript.Quit(<exitcode>), that code should be passed on as the exit code of the executable. I will double check though.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DurnellMarkA@JohnDeere.com

Post by DurnellMarkA@JohnDeere.com »

Alex, did you get this confirmed? I just noticed for the first time that the exit code was not being passed through the EXE file. I'm running revision 4.5.572 and can say I'm not seeing the exit code passed.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I am running 4.5.574 and it appears to work fine.
As always it really depends on what options for the package you are using. Without knowing these it's hard to determine what you are looking at.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DurnellMarkA@JohnDeere.com

Post by DurnellMarkA@JohnDeere.com »

I went ahead and installed revision 4.5.574 and I do now get the exit codes being passed back through the EXE file. Thanks for the confirmation.
This topic is 15 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.