Performance Issues

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
cuddlywolf

Performance Issues

Post by cuddlywolf »

I wrote a basic sql command to query a table and it took a long time for it to return the data.
SQL Statement:
select *From nvd_bustatuswhere nvd_bustatus.nvd_zobjname = 'MS08-076'
Table has ~5 million records, return results about 65000.
In the time that primalsql ran the query I was able to load TOAD, rewrite the sql statement, execute it twice for 2 different filters exporting each results. Even when the resutls did come back, I haven't been able to export the results. This might be my lack of knowledge of the product.

Am I doing something wrong?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Performance Issues

Post by davidc »

Hello

There are some factors that may affect the speed of the query:

The Provider you use may make a difference, for example using the OLE DB Provider vs. the Native Provider.
The content of the query, for example we convert URLs to links.

In order to assist you further please answer the following questions:

What version of PrimalSQL are you currently running?
What type of fields are the results returning?
Are you using a client cursor? (Options-> Output tab)

We are always interesting in improving the product, so your feedback is appreciated.

David davidc2009-05-14 09:53:08
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc

Performance Issues

Post by davidc »

In addition what version of SQL Server are you using and what provider are you connecting with?

Thank you

David
David
cuddlywolf

Performance Issues

Post by cuddlywolf »

Version of PrimalSQL is 1.03
Options>Output Tab - Neither of the two options are turned on
Sorry but I don't know the provider information, can you tell me how to find this? I have not changed any default options in the product, set up a sql connection to my sql 2005 server and ran my query against one of my db's.
Data type is primarily varchar, below is a sample set of data:
AGFPBRIGLT11075,MS08-076,8,{patch.verify.error.8 MS08-076} AGFPCLINDT11024,MS08-076,8,{patch.verify.error.8 MS08-076} AGFPFERGDT10981,MS08-076,8,{patch.verify.error.8 MS08-076} AGFPFERGDT10983,MS08-076,8,{patch.verify.error.8 MS08-076}
davidc

Performance Issues

Post by davidc »

You can get the Provider information by right clicking on the Database Connection in the "Database Browse"r and select the "Edit" option.

If the "Data Link Properties" window, select the "Provider" tab and your selected provider should be highlighted.

David
David
davidc

Performance Issues

Post by davidc »

Good news, on the next service release you should see a performance improvement (depending on the provider used).
David
David
cuddlywolf

Performance Issues

Post by cuddlywolf »

I looked up and the provider I was using is the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server.

That is great news about the performance improvements. You guys do great work thats why I figured I should give some feedback :)

Would you recommnd I use a different provider? I have no allegiance to this one, just the first one I noticed that said sql.
davidc

Performance Issues

Post by davidc »

Each provider supports different functionality that may impact your performance with PrimalSQL. Since the providers can be so different it is hard to say which is better without testing it with your own configuration. I
David
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.