Renaming Connections

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
criswebo

Renaming Connections

Post by criswebo »

At one time I was able to give my connections the name I wanted but recently I added a new connection and seem to be stuck with "New Connection 7". The next one I make is "New Connection 8", etc. I have 6 other connections with names I was able to give them. What have I forgotten that allowed me to give my connections their own name?

Primal SQL 2009 version 1.1.2

-Bob

p.s. The manual or help file that others in the forum have asked about would be really nice to have. Are they still being worked on?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Renaming Connections

Post by davidc »

It seems like PrimalSQL is unable to save the connection with the new name therefore it retains the original name. Let's try to manually change the names.
Exit from PrimalSQL and go to the Application Data folder for the Datasources/ connection files:

Windows 7 / Vista:
C:Users<UserName>AppDataRoamingSAPIENDataSources

Verify that a file with the desired name doesn't already exist. Then try to manually change the connection file names (.cnn) and the .dat files. After renaming the files, start PrimalSQL and the connections should display their new names.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
criswebo

Renaming Connections

Post by criswebo »

I verified that files (.cnn & .dat types) with the desired name did not exist and renamed them to the desired name. The correct names now show up in PrimalSQL.
Then I tried to create another new connection and it named it "new connection 9". I then deleted the connection using the Connection-->Delete connection command in the Ribbon. I noticed that new connection 9.cnn was deleted from the directory but new connection 9.dat remained. I created a new connection again and it has the "new connection 9" name.

I can't remember at what point in the new connection creation process I'm supposed to give it the name I want. I've tried putting it in the drop down underneath the active connection control and also looked for a way to rename it with the edit database connection command. I'm not doing something wrong am I?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Renaming Connections

Post by davidc »

You should be able to rename the connection as soon as you create it. In order to rename the connection you have to use the Database Browser. Use Rename command in the context menu.
What was the name you were using when it failed to rename?

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
criswebo

Renaming Connections

Post by criswebo »

Ok - Everything is well. It was my bad. I was not showing the Database browser but when I did I was able to rename the connection. I don't use PrimalSQL often and it had been a while since adding my last connection so I had forgotten about the browser window.

Thanks for pointing me to what I was missing.

Bob
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.