Error using DSN with PrimalSQL 2011

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 12 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
myitguy

Post by myitguy »

Using the same connection from PrimalSQL 2009 in 2011 is causing the following error:

For a full description of the issue, please see the following link.

PrimalSQL 2011 is unable to connect to a database using a DSN

Any assistance is appreciated.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

What type of database are you connecting to with ODBC? What OS are you running PrimalSQL 2011 in? Note: PrimalSQL 2009 and PrimalSQL 2011 use different technologies to connect to database.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
myitguy

Post by myitguy »

I believe the database is housed on Oracle; It is a Remedy database.

PrimalSQL 2011 and 2009 are running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Its understandable that different technologies are used for different versions. I'm certain most would agree that, for an end user, the technology is not a requirement for the product to be a success (and ultimately worth purchasing), but functionality is.

Thank you for the reply. I look forward to getting this resolved so we can use the product!
davidc

Post by davidc »

This seems to be an issue related to Oracle. I found multiple references via the web. Is there a reason you are not using the Oracle Connection directly?You can also try a connection string as follows: "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};server=OracleSever;Uid=username;Pwd=password"; David
davidc2011-08-09 13:08:27
David
myitguy

Post by myitguy »

We don't use the oracle connection because it requires the oracle client to be installed. Even if it were, I don't believe it would work.

Remedy's ODBC Connection is specifically designed to provide read-only access to their database. While it may be backended on an oracle server, it uses a Remedy frontend for access. Therefore, the ODBC Connection for Remedy talks to a form of Remedy proxy service.

All-in-all, the functionality I need is to be able to use any installed ODBC connection; as previously available in 2009.

Thank you, again.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Please copy your 2009 connection string and paste it into a new OLEDB connection in 2011. See if that makes a difference. David
David
myitguy

Post by myitguy »

That was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, without success.
davidc

Post by davidc »

If you can, please post the connection string without the confidential information. In the mean time I will do some more research to so I can get a better idea as to what is happening. David
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

Is this a User DSN or System DSN? If it is a User DSN please try making it into a System DSN. I'm using this post as a reference: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm? ... 07&page=10
David
myitguy

Post by myitguy »

Sorry, was out the rest of the day yesterday. Just got back to this now...

The connection string from 2009 is:

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=<password>;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=<user id>;Data Source=AR System ODBC Data Source

The connection string from 2011 is:

Dsn=AR System ODBC Data Source;User ID=<user id>;Password=<password>

When saving the 2009 connection string in 2011, this is what is saved:

Dsn=;provider=MSDASQL.1;password=<password>;persist security info=True;user id=<user id>;data source=AR System ODBC Data Source

Switching the DSN from User to System did not remove the error.

Not certain if this helps, but if we remove the username and password from the PrimalSQL 2009, the same error (149) is encountered.
This topic is 12 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.