Issue running Profile Manager

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
r.massone

Post by r.massone »

Dear SAPIEN Support,

I'm experiencing some issue when running PowerShell Profile Manager if the "My Documents" folder path has been changed.

The current user setup has many profile folders moved to another partition using the Windows UI (Folder Properties -> Location -> Move).
When I run the latest Profile Manager, none of my "Personal Profile" seems to be available to be enabled/disabled and if I click the button to the right to edit a profile, I receive a PrimalScript error message similar to "C:UsersRMassoneMy Documentsdisabled.profile.ps1 contains an incorrect path"

The issue seems to be present only with the Personal Profiles and not with system ones.
If I try to edit an enabled personal profile, PrimalScript warns me with the following message:
"You dropped a folder containing 35 files with a total size of 12700 kb on PrimalScript. Are you sure you want to open all these files?"
Answering "NO" pops up another alert:
"C:WindowsPowerShellprofile.ps1 contains an incorrect path."

If I try the "$Profile | fl -Force" command, I get the right path to my 4 profile files:
AllUsersAllHosts : C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0profile.ps1
AllUsersCurrentHost : C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1
CurrentUserAllHosts : D:UsersRMassoneDocumentsWindowsPowerShellprofile.ps1
CurrentUserCurrentHost : D:UsersRMassoneDocumentsWindowsPowerShellMicrosoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1

I've verified this issue on both Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8 Consumer Preview running PrimalScript 2011 (all builds up to 6.0.173) or PrimalScript 2012 (all builds up to 6.5.125)

Thanks in advance

Renato Massone
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

We will look into it, thanks.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel

The problem implies that the environment variable UserProfile is not set. The path to the user profiles is expanded as shown in the following example:%UserProfile%My DocumentsWindowsPowerShellprofile.ps1
Alexander Riedel
r.massone

Post by r.massone »

Thanks for the quick answer.

I've checked my configuration and here are the results.

The %userprofile% variable is defined and points to C:UsersRMassone, where the profile is located.

I suppose the Profile Manager should retrieve the path to the "My Documents" folder instead of assuming it is on the default location under %userprofile%.

On my setup, the %userprofile% contains the AppData folder, some shell folder, the NTUSER files and the junctions the OS created when I moved the shell folders to another path.

I don't think I can update the %userprofile% variable with D:UsersRMassone because it may break something else that relies on it.
I've tried to change the variable on an elevated command prompt just before running ProfileManagerVista.exe, but nothing changed.
Alexander Riedel

According to Microsoft's documentation that is where they are to be found:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... .85).aspxI will ask them what they have to say for themselves :-)
Alexander Riedel
r.massone

Post by r.massone »

Thank you again for your quick answer.
I think I'll send some feedback to Microsoft because the documentation doesn't match my setup and I think is misleading.

I'll try to use the new PowerShell Studio to build a Profile Manager that supports my configuration. ;-)
DionHurst

Post by DionHurst »

No answer to this issue yet? I'm getting the same issue on my installation of Profile Manager for Personal Profiles in PrimalScript 2012.
Alexander Riedel

Not heard back from Microsoft. I'll ping them again.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

Can you download the free Profile Editor from your MySAPIEN download page and tell me if that gets the right profiles on your system?
Alexander Riedel
DionHurst

Post by DionHurst »

I have the same issue whether it is the download or otherwise.
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.