Help With a Script

Anything VBScript-related, including Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI, and more.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 16 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
camobarbie

Help With a Script

Post by camobarbie »

I would like to centrally manage and archive event logs for all servers. I must keep 3 years worth and I would like to schedule this as a task to occur every month. I downloaded a script off this site but everytime I run it I would get the "couldn't get log from (name of the computer). Any help would be appreciated.

'Create a FileSystemObjectSet oFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
'Open a text file of computer names'with one computer name per lineSet oTS = oFS.OpenTextFile("c:computers.txt")
'go through the text fileDo Until oTS.AtEndOfStream
'get next computer sComputer = oTS.ReadLine
'connect to the WMI provider Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _ & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Backup)}!" & _ sComputer & "rootcimv2") 'query the Security logs Set colLogFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery _ ("Select * from Win32_NTEventLogFile where LogFileName='Security'") For Each objLogfile in colLogFiles errBackupLog = objLogFile.BackupEventLog("c:scripts" & sComputer & "" & Date() & ".evt") If errBackupLog <> 0 Then Wscript.Echo "The Application event log could not be backed up from & sComputer" Else objLogFile.ClearEventLog() End If NextLoop
'close the input fileoTS.Close
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Help With a Script

Post by jvierra »

Hi

I don't see that message in teh script.

What is in your "computers.txt" file?

Add an echo to send the error errBackupLog t the console to see what is causing any failure.
jvierra

Help With a Script

Post by jvierra »

Good call othman! You have good eyes.
camobarbie

Help With a Script

Post by camobarbie »

This is the original script, Ive been playing with it trying to get it to work, but I havent yet.

'Create a FileSystemObjectSet FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
'Open a text file of computer names'with one computer name per lineSet oTS = FSO.OpenTextFile("c:computers.txt")
'go through the text fileDo Until oTS.AtEndOfStream
'get next computer sComputer = oTS.ReadLine
'connect to the WMI provider Set oWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:"_ & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Backup,Security)}!" & _ sComputer & "rootcimv2") 'query the Security logs Set cLogFiles = oWMIService.ExecQuery _ ("Select * from Win32_NTEventLogFile where " & _ "LogFileName='Security'") 'go through the collection of logs For Each oLogfile in cLogFiles
'back up the log to a file errBackupLog = oLogFile.BackupEventLog _ ("c:logs" & sComputer & "" & Date() & ".evt") 'see if an error occured If errBackupLog <> 0 Then 'one did - display an error Wscript.Echo "Couldn't get log from " & sComputer Else 'no error - safe to clear the Log oLogFile.ClearEventLog() End If NextLoop
'close the input fileoTS.Close
jvierra

Help With a Script

Post by jvierra »

Try this one - I've attached it. It will give you some extra info:

uploads/2491/EL_backup.txt

Code: Select all

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oTS = FSO.OpenTextFile("e:projectsscriptscomputers.txt")
Do Until oTS.AtEndOfStream

strComputer = oTS.ReadLine

Set SWBemlocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    Set objWMIService = SWBemlocator.ConnectServer(strComputer,"rootCIMV2")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_NTEventlogFile")

For Each objItem In colItems
     strDate = Replace(Date, "/", "-")
   sFileName = "C:Logs" & strComputer & "-" & objItem.LogfileName & "-" & strDate & ".evt"
       LogfileName strCommputer, objItem.LogfileName, sFileName
    Next
Loop

Sub LogfileName(sComputer, strEventLog, sBackupFile)

Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Backup, Security)}!" & strComputer & "rootcimv2")
   Set colLogs = objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_NTEventlogFile Where " & " Logfilename = '" & strEventLog & "'")
   For Each objLog In colLogs
    errBackupLog = objLog.BackupEventLog( sBackupFile )
     If errBackupLog  0 Then
      Select Case errBackupLog
    Case    8: strError = "Privilege missing"
    Case   21: strError = "Invalid parameter"
    Case   80: strError = "Archive file name already exists" 'Vista and later
    Case  123: strError = "Funny error code 123" ' usually means format for file name is wrong
    Case  183: strError = "Archive file name already exists" ' pre-vista
    Case Else: strError = "Unknown Error:" & errBackupLog
   End Select
     WScript.Echo strEventLog & " backed up filed with error:" & strError
    Else
     WScript.Echo strEventLog & " backed up to " & sBackupFile
    End if
   Next

End Sub 

othman

Help With a Script

Post by othman »

Add this line into Select Case:
Case 3: strError = "Invalid Location or Folder doesn't exists " & sBackupFile
jvierra

Help With a Script

Post by jvierra »

Yes - Your answer looks good. I didn't try it but I did look it over.

There is, I beleve, an easier way to handle the dates. AD, like WMI, has a date converter object. You may also be able to get ADO to do the conversion. I haven't had time to look this up yet.

Note:

Disabled is in user flags I believe.

For days in a date calculation we canusually ignore UTC differences although using UTC is more acccurate by +- 1 day sometimes for time closer to midnight or for disperse geographical locations. In this case location is not specified so normalizing UTC is not required.

jvierra2008-03-05 07:01:34
donj

Help With a Script

Post by donj »

Not sure - I was able to run this against a remote machine on the network here and it seemed to work okay...
jvierra

Help With a Script

Post by jvierra »

No - that's not possible.

Does "C:Logs" exist. It has to exist on all remote computers. It will no be created.
othman

Help With a Script

Post by othman »

sorry James, you are right. maybe the folder is not exist on remote. I just did a test.

I mean the drive, try using an exist drive letter like B:othman2008-03-21 12:43:44
This topic is 16 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.